Chicken Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so heartbroken and sad.. went out to check on my 2 pheasants and found one dead, and the other not doing well.. the cat was sitting there licking his bloody paws. :mad:

Anyway the one that is still alive is bleeding by the nasal passage. I don't think he's going to make it but I want to try everything possible to help him. He's in the house with his head propped up with a towel.. he keeps doing this thing where he twists his head around with his eyes open.. I don't know if he's trying to get up or having seizures or something. I am giving him silver in his eyes, by his nasal passages, and giving him some orally. Anything else I can do to try and save him?

This is the silver that we give our animals when they are sick or injured. It works wonders every time, and has saved many lives here. We take it when we are sick as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Sovereign-Si...ds=sovereign+silver&psc=1&smid=A3GMBSXF8XL5PX

Thank You so much for any help saving my lil guy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm thinking he's definitely having seizures.. when that happens, the last few times, he flaps his wings around and rolls across the room. Not sure what to do for him at this point :(

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He just passed away :( At least he's not suffering anymore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Since this thread about cats, i will inject my opnion!
Cats are the only domestic creatures allowed to roam around freely! I see on the interent there is a massive amount of hatred for cats. They dig up flower beds, poo on the roofs and kill native birds.
As a reminder to the folks here, do NOT go and complain the owners. That is a waste of time and effort. Use a haveaheart live trap and take it to the pound. Once the owners start paying money, they will keep their cats inside.
The other solution is shoot, shovel and shut up.
After slaving away for a house, you shood expect to enjoy your gardens without digging up cat poo!!!
TY
Albert

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Sorry for your loss!!!I have feral cats around here and have never known 1 to attack my flock.If there is 1 in the yard close,the flock usually gets together and bullies the cat away.Were the pheasants full grown?I like the cats for rodent control but I won't tolerate them messing w/ my flock.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
None of our cats have EVER went for any of our chickens. They go in the chicken coop/run and hunt mice, rats, and birds that attempt to eat the chickens' food. The pheasants were full grown, we had them in a pen that we didn't think that the cats could get into..and even if they did we didn't think that they would bother them. I guess they smelled/looked different..

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
I didn't think cats would go after chickens, but pheasants are bigger, right?
I'm one of those people who would never get my chickens and dog used to eachother. The chickens may trust the wrong dog. But that's me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So sorry for your loss! That's gotta be a bit traumatic, finding one dead and having the other die shortly after. :(

Cats have gone after my chickens. I guess never assume your birds are safe...horrible way to learn that lesson, though. I agree that it is useless to talk to the owners. My neighbors' outside cat has never attacked, but he was raised with chickens. Unless you know for sure the cat is safe, you are within your rights to protect your flock. If it's your own cat, hopefully you can find a solution.

I have had some birds die of injuries, and yeah, usually once they start flapping-seizing there's no bringing them back. Maybe someone with more vet skills than I could do it, but I've never been successful past that point. Don't feel too bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts