Chicken Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to back yard chickens and I have one quick question. How do you tell if you have a rooster. My chickens are about five months old now and I have two that seem to want to but heads. Does this mean they are Roos.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Hi and welcome :) Do you have a pic of your suspected roosters ? Also hens will chest bump and do stare downs as well. Its about the pecking order.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Omg!!! I surely would love to post some pics for u guys however figuring out how has stumped me somewhat.

·
Banned
162 Posts
A good way to try to determine males from females at this age is to look for saddle feathers. Hold a bird with the head facing you, looking down on it so you can see its back. When you look at the feathers just in front of the tail, which are called the saddle feathers, are they pointy, or rounded?

Pointy saddle feathers mean it's a male bird, or cockerel. Rounded saddle feathers mean it's a female bird, or pullet.

As well, cockerels generally have thicker shanks, bigger redder combs, and are generally larger than pullets of the same age.

Hope that helps. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts