Chicken Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my new friends! I am Hania. I am 15 and on 5/1/21 my mum bought 10 cute little silkie chicks. I didn't know about it until the moment my mum handed me the cardboard box of chicks and hopped into the driver's seat. So I'm a little clueless on how to raise chickens. I keep racing pigeons, and I don't think the chickens will be harder to care for, but of course I could be wrong (please correct me if I'm wrong).

We currently have the chicks in a large plastic tote with pine pellets for bedding, a heat lamp, a feeder, water, and a thermometer. I'm not exactly sure what we're feeding them but I can check later. The thermometer reads a constant 90 degrees.

I am excited to learn about these wonderful creatures!

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Hania. It sounds as though your mum read up on their care since they are in a nice setup for babies.

We have someone here who raises homers so he can tell you how much caring for the two are.

You don't sound like you're in the states. Sometimes it makes a big difference when we make suggestions on how to care for your birds.

And we love pics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will definitely try to post pictures of my chickens, but I think I will hold off my pigeons for a while. My pet pigeon, whom I raised from an egg (he lived in the coop with the rest of my birds), went missing on the same day my mom got the chickens. There's too many emotions scrolling through my old pictures. I hope you understand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The first pic is the chicks on the day we got them, the second is their setup today, the third is our weird chick with 5 toes on one foot and 4 on the other and the last is the food we're feeding them.

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
I like that first pic with the one with its head cocked up watching what you were doing.

Yes, it happens. Since peep does have five toes on the one foot it's OK to use for breeding.

That looks like a perfectly adequate feed for them. They should grow quite well with that.

I was hoping you were going to say that your favorite bird returned. I'm sorry that it didn't.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I will definitely try to post pictures of my chickens, but I think I will hold off my pigeons for a while. My pet pigeon, whom I raised from an egg (he lived in the coop with the rest of my birds), went missing on the same day my mom got the chickens. There's too many emotions scrolling through my old pictures. I hope you understand.
I am so sorry. I totally understand. It's so much different when you raised the pet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like that first pic with the one with its head cocked up watching what you were doing.

Yes, it happens. Since peep does have five toes on the one foot it's OK to use for breeding.

That looks like a perfectly adequate feed for them. They should grow quite well with that.

I was hoping you were going to say that your favorite bird returned. I'm sorry that it didn't.
The one with it's head cocked up in the first pic is the one with the weird feet, we've named him/her Sandy because of its color.

I have another chick that has 4 toes on both feet, but it is also the fluffiest of the bunch. Would that one be bad to breed?

Unfortunately my bird has not returned :(. We are looking. A few people have supposedly sighted him and are helping in the search. Hopefully we can find him soon. He cannot eat on his own because his beak is under-developed (has been since birth) and I'm worried he will starve to death.

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
At that very young age you can't know for sure what any of them is going to look like when mature. The one that has only four toes on both feet is a slim maybe. Everything else about the peep has to be right to risk using it for breeding.

I wonder why they do that. They know where home is but choose to risk staying in the wild. I'm pulling for his return home to you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At that very young age you can't know for sure what any of them is going to look like when mature. The one that has only four toes on both feet is a slim maybe. Everything else about the peep has to be right to risk using it for breeding.

I wonder why they do that. They know where home is but choose to risk staying in the wild. I'm pulling for his return home to you.
I let him out daily and he always came back. I think he reason he's not coming home is because he was chased too far away by a raven or hawk and because of his disabilities he cannot figure out how to get back. At least I hope that's the case..

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
I didn't think about being chased. That can happen with chickens too and they get lost. Ending up in the yards of strangers.

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
Hello my new friends! I am Hania. I am 15 and on 5/1/21 my mum bought 10 cute little silkie chicks. I didn't know about it until the moment my mum handed me the cardboard box of chicks and hopped into the driver's seat. So I'm a little clueless on how to raise chickens. I keep racing pigeons, and I don't think the chickens will be harder to care for, but of course I could be wrong (please correct me if I'm wrong).

We currently have the chicks in a large plastic tote with pine pellets for bedding, a heat lamp, a feeder, water, and a thermometer. I'm not exactly sure what we're feeding them but I can check later. The thermometer reads a constant 90 degrees.

I am excited to learn about these wonderful creatures!
Good Morning Hania,

Welcome to the group. Silkies are great little birds and fun to own. I have homers, and many others, along with goats and dogs.

I hope you find your special pigeon. I'm currently playing doctor to a squab that lost a large piece of flesh off its neck. Love the pictures. Four toes on a silkie can be a sign they are a cross; even if their crosses they will be great birds. Should they be crosses they're likely to have normal feathers, but from what I can see, they have silkied feathering. You will find it is no harder to care for silkies as it is to care for racers once the silkies have grown past the tiny chick stage.

Enjoy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts