Hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by lorensterman, Oct 9, 2017.

1. lorensterman

lorensterman New Member

Hi there! I'm new to the forum and researching how to conquer odor in my chicken yard. The coop isn't a problem, it's the outdoor area. Mucking is a problem because of stones underlaying the yard so I'd like to find a safe way to neutralize odor. Any thoughts? TIA

2. nannypattyrn

nannypattyrn Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum! I use garden lime in my coop. It works very well. Is your soil rocky or are the stones like a patio?

3. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

I agree with Patty, lime would help control odor. Perhaps you could also get a truckload of sand and put it in place.
    Welcome to the forum.

lorensterman likes this.
  4. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum!!!I understand your frustration,I had the same problem and had a muddy pen,too.I never found a solution except to free range them and that has it's own set of problems but my chickens don't stand in mud/water/stink.I didn't think about sand but if I had,I may have tried that.Agricultural lime is good at breaking down waste.

lorensterman likes this.
  5. lorensterman

lorensterman New Member

Thank you! We used the stones when we built the coop to help with drainage but they are too large, we should have used pea size...I've been thinking about ag lime...

6. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

I agree with the others. Lime and sand. I lime everything and it's easier if you keep it handy and stocked. Also there are bedding pellets for horses that absorb odor.

lorensterman likes this.
  7. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

Stall dri is very effective and there's no concern about causing burning.

lorensterman likes this.
  8. Wilbur's Mom

Wilbur's Mom Active Member

Welcome! I haven't had any issues, my girls free range in the evening. My only issue is changing out the bedding...:)

lorensterman likes this.
  9. lorensterman

lorensterman New Member

No problem with hens eating pellets?