Hello IL/WI

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by igemini, Sep 12, 2012.

1. igemini

igemini New Member

Hello there. I just purchased my 1st chicken coop, but doing a little research before I take the leap as a chicken mom.

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Welcome to Chicken Forum. I'm from NJ. I lived in Wisconsin for 10 years. My son was born in Madison. Lovely place. I'd move back in a heartbeat. Lots of nice people here. We are all hear to help one another.

3. igemini

igemini New Member

I grew up in Illinos, so not too far from where I live now. I am beginning to appreciate it more. I always thought I wanted to live somewhere warm like Georgia or Kentucky. Who knows, with this global warming... the warm weather may be coming to me.

4. oakwood

oakwood New Member

Hello from the UK:)
    What breed of chickens are you going to get ?

5. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Hello neighbor - from Upper MI. :) You're going to have so much fun choosing chickens. SOOO many breeds to choose from ... Nothing like soft warm fuzzy chickies. :D

6. igemini

igemini New Member

I always loved the Australorps. I just never knew the name of them. I just love their big dark eyes and shimmering black feathers. In my research, I've looked through many breeds... only to bring me back to those again. They are everything I am looking for. I like the size, they are friendly, social, good egg-layers, brown egg-layers, and winter tolerant. I'm sure that I'm missing many good qualities, of course.

7. Take a look at buff orphingtons! Great bread!

8. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

My Lilah will be 2 years old this May. She's an Australorp. Very soft, beautiful girl with those soulfull brown eyes. She's very docile, occasionally stubborn, and simply a doll. The black feathers shine irridescent green/purple in the sunshine. Lots of cold & snow where I live. She tolerates the weather fine and confinement just fine. Australorps are developed from the Black Orpington. ( I looked this up since I remember reading something about them being part Orpington. ) I wish I had another Australorp. Instead when I needed a buddy for her, I picked one that was Australorp/White Leghorn mix. Alyviah too has a sweetness to her personality like Lilah. Both are in the picture.

Attached Files:

9. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Hi and Welcome. I'm originally from the Chicago burbs and moved to 2 acres in the woods in west central Wisconsin.

10. igemini

igemini New Member

Nice to meet all of you. Well, we tried day old chicks over winter and it was the most amazing experience for us. My son especially loved the experience. The Australorp girls are now 10 weeks old. We sold 9 of the original 16. We still have them indoors in a 2-level cage. This winter has just been too cold to put them outdoors in the coop. I'm sure with the heat lamp they would be fine, but just can't bring myself to do it yet. They get playtime once a day in our kitchen where they dust themselves and dig around in pots of dirt. I am loving them! Once I figure out how to post pictures, I will. LOL

11. igemini

igemini New Member

Let's see if this works...

Attached Files:

12. igemini

igemini New Member

That is so sweet!

13. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Too cute! Can't wait until they move outside so they can become real chickens. It so much fun for them. Fun for us to watch them discover the world. Just like our kids. You know, you've turned your son into one of those Chicken People now. He'll never be the same again. Lol. Good for you! Chicken people are the best!

14. AlexTS113

AlexTS113 New Member

15. OliviaE

OliviaE New Member

I think he/she meant breed...chicken does go with bread....yum
    (I am not trying to make u mad I just thought it was funny :)

16. igemini

igemini New Member

LOL- breed/bread. I did learn that Australorps are actually from the Orphington breed. Hence the "orp" part of "Austral."