Chicken Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there folks. I live in Hinton, Alberta, Canada. Just looking into chickens and seriously thinking about a small backyard flock. Wife and kids love the idea ... fresh eggs and a couple in the freezer just seem to good to pass up. I'm a missionary pastor from west Virginia and every little bit helps when you got mouths to feed and more month than money!!!

Looking at a few breeds and places to order/buy from here in western Canada ... Does anyone have any input on these choices as far as 1) hard winters ... 2) small area, confinement ... 3) kid and wife friendly ... I know I'm looking at dual purpose birds and am really interested in Barred Rocks, Rhode I Reds, and Astrualorps. Any suggestions and by the way I have found loads of very helpful info. on the forum already.

Shane D.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hi and welcome. I don't know much about breeds but I have 2 silkies and a polish hatchling. Silkies are known to be docile. So they will be a pet to you and your family. The are bantams so the eggs are a lil smaller than norm.

·
I luv Polish & Houdans
137 Posts
Hi neighbour. I'm in Parkland County. I know many people that are into the Chanteclers. Nothing wrong with any of the 3 breeds you mentioned. As for sales, you are lucky in that you are in Alberta. Alberta has become chicken country over the last few years and it's still growing. There are several sales coming up in the next month.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Get barred Plymouth Rock hens or California white they are cold hardy and are very nice oh they lay lots of eggs

·
173 Posts
Be careful of breeds with single combs. If it gets very cold the combs will freeze. Chanteclers were bred to be cold weather hardy and Americanas should do well also. Peacombed or cushion combed breeds will be better for extreme cold weather.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hi from Upper Michigan! I have all 3 breeds you mentioned and have had no problems. Their coop is heated and their run is roofed, north side plywood shut, and the rest of the sides wrapped in plastic so they can go outside on the bitter days without being exposed to the elements. This is the 3rd winter with my RIR and Barred Rock, 2nd for my Australorp.

You and your family are going to love having chickens. They are full of personality! Best entertainment ever!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. Thanks for the PMs with more detail. I'll be sure to let you folks know what's going on ... May take us a little while to get on board but we are moving that wau

·
172 Posts
... every little bit helps when you got mouths to feed and more month than money!!!
Shane D.
My advice would be that there are lots of great reasons to start raising chickens. :) Saving money most likely should not be one of them. After building a coop and paying for feed, you might be surprised how much your eggs cost. Unless your building materials are cheep and you can free range your birds.
But even if you can only break even on your cost I would still recommend a small flock for your family. Great family times dealing with those silly birds. :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Point well taken farmhand! I started hunting deer and elk to put "cheaper" meat in the freezer! Ha ... We all know how that works ... At least we can eat the eggs and meat birds if push comes to shove ... Cant eat a dog, no matter how expensive he gets! I know my kids will love the experience ... And the wife is on board as well.
Still a lot of options to weigh out before we become chicken farmers!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts