Hello from Washington State

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by catlady6200, Sep 7, 2012.

1. catlady6200

catlady6200 Junior Member

I was finally able to get some chickens this year after waiting for many years. Hubby didn't want me to get them as they are a lot of work and we are both elderly. However,,,,,,my son-in-law and daughter decided that I should have them this year. They live on the property and took it on themselves to do most of the work so I could have my babies. We have Astrolorps,,,,,,6 chicks and 2 roos. Big mistake,,,2 roos. Looks like we will have to work a trade with someone for one of the roos. Too small of a flock for 2 of them.
    We are a licensed wildlife preserve so it is a real challenge having chickens with all the wildlife but we are 4 months into this and haven't lost a one so far. Of course we had to build fort knox in order to keep them.
    Sorry this is so long, but as you will find out I am rather long winded.

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Hello and welcome to the forum! I'm in NJ. I've done some wildlife rehab in my time. I'm interested to hear all you have to say so please don't edit. Here in Chicken Land it's safe to say what you think.

3. hollyosborn

hollyosborn HollyOsborn

Where are you in Washington? Im in Oregon.. good luck with the chicks.. and roos!!!

4. melvawicklund

melvawicklund New Member

I live in Washington too. I have cancer and am retired. Hubby didn't want chickens either, but built me a coup anyways. We now have one dog, two cats and three chickens. We had some issues with HOA and appealed their decision on not having chickens in our community. Won our appeal and were grandfathered in. Chickens are by far more easy to raise than cats or dogs. Just make sure ya change the water and keep their feeder full. I change out the "white shavings" once a year. This is the most difficult part of raising the chickens. My grand kids call me Granny Buck Buck for obvious reasons and we enjoy the fresh eggs and the antics of the chickens always trying to reestablish their "pecking order". We live in the Bothell area.

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Hi Mel and thank you got joining us. I'm in NJ and look forward to getting to know you and your furry and feathered bunch or should I say flock. Lol.

Welcome!