Hello from the White Mountains

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Hermit's Garden, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Hermit's Garden

Hermit's Garden Member

...of eastern Arizona. I'm a Texas native, finally settling into the pine wood mountains with the Spousal Unit, two cats (one fearless, and one a psychotic freak), and a Great Pyrenees / Red Heeler mix. We're building a house (almost finished!!!), and this spring we'll build the coop and run. This last move will be our 18th move in 26 years. Well, it'd best be our last, because at 57, I don't wanna pack & haul anymore.

I want Brabanters. After waffling around for months--sometimes changing my mind several times a day--I gave in admitted to myself I want Gold Brabanters. There's just something so fun about their little beards and punk rock stylin'. Even if the hatchery says they're "ornamental", I think they'll lay enough eggs for two adults. And be entertaining in the meantime.

I've read a few threads on this breed, but if anyone has more recent info or experience with Brabanters, I'd sure love to hear it.

Cheers!

Slippy likes this.
  2. Slippy

Slippy Active Member

Welcome @Hermit's Garden
    Would love to see a pic of the Great Pyranese/Red Heeler Mix!
    We're a touch older than you are and we figure we might have one more house to build and this one will be a 2nd Home, so we don't have to really "move" Preferably in a cool dry climate.

The heat in the heart of Dixie is killing me bit by bit every summer!

Hermit's Garden likes this.

3. Hermit's Garden

Hermit's Garden Member

101_1308.JPG Well, we had a nice dry snow this morning after Giving Thanks...maybe you could build your second home here in the White Mountains. Doesn't get much dryer than this, unless you're down in the valley in Phoenix, but I try not to go down there except visits to family. :)

We've had our Gypsy girl for a year and a half--she was a rescue, and at 3.5 yrs of verrrry hard life, she was a bit of wreck. MUCH better now, and seems to regard the hubs and I and the two cats as her "flock to guard".

Where are y'all in Dixie? Our daughter is stationed near Knoxville, TN. Gorgeous there, but HUMID.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2020
    Slippy likes this.
  4. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum.

As one who has lived all over I understand your desire to set down roots and not budge ever again.

We had a forum member who loved her Brabanters. Then things changed for her and she had to leave them behind. They're crazy antics is what drew her to them.

5. Slippy

Slippy Active Member

Gypsy looks real sweet! Was expecting a much larger animal due to the Great Pyranese influence! We have an Australian Cattle Dog (Red Heeler)
    We're in Alabama. The mountains of Arizona are an option for us as is Wyoming and South Dakota. Gotta get out of the heat in a few more years. Summer in the mountains, winter in the south!
    Let us know when you build your coop and please check out the building section of the forum. Some great ideas there!
    Be well!

6. Hermit's Garden

Hermit's Garden Member

I think the Heeler kept her small--but she's still 65 lbs and very solid. Thanks for the info on the building section. I'll go check it out. Have a great weekend.

7. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the Forum! I like the Golds better than the Cream Brabanters. Very old breed and not many here in the States. I don't think anyone on the forum has them or has posted pictures. I remember seeing a few of them in Switzerland where my father's bunch is from. I think they will make excellent chickens for you. If you maintain the line, I'm sure you would have a market for eggs and chicks.

BarbaraR and Hermit's Garden like this.
  8. Hermit's Garden

Hermit's Garden Member

Thanks, everyone, for the welcome.

Poultry Judge; will the standard--such as it is--be in an SOP book? I would like to know what to aim for, even if it takes years.

It does seem you can find breeders of quality (?) Cream Brabanters, but the golds are even hard to find photos of! Not sure what the market for them here is or will be, but I plan to work to improve what hatchery birds I can get--first for my own flock, and then if I can sell chicks, bonus.

I live at 7200 ft, so hatching eggs would be a bit iffy for anyone at low elevations. Might be able to sell them here on the mountain. But...I eat a LOT of eggs, so likely the only hatching eggs will be for my future flock! :p

9. Poultry Judge

What I know about Brabanters is, (and don't hold me to any of this because I might be wrong about something): there are seven varieties I think. The only ones available in the States are Gold and Cream with blue shanks. They are medium station and can be very friendly birds. The Bantam variety was created in 1934 and is not in the APA Bantam Standard. The full size birds are in the Dutch Standard I believe. I looked in my books and I don't have a copy. I first saw the birds in Linn, Aargau Switzerland, (used to be Austria), where my father's family was from.

10. Poultry Judge

I think there are breeders and hobbyists in the States who try to maintain Brabanters as a line, so most of them are fairly picky about their birds. They were crossed twice I believe to avoid extinction, hence the seven varieties today. If you buy from a breeder or hatchery ask lots of questions about the line, like where it's from, how old and what kind of records they keep for the lineage tree. They usually like to share that stuff. Also Facebook has a Brabanters page and that's probably where you might network to find some good birds. I don't know, I don't do Facebook but the Fossil Ledges farm manager here, Melissa, does a Facebook page for the animal rescue. Just my opinion, I would probably try to buy several batches of eggs and hatch them if I were doing it at the Farm.

11. Hermit's Garden

Hermit's Garden Member

Hatching eggs at this elevation is iffy at best, unless they're locally sourced. Something about the porosity of the shells--it's a problem going from low to high or visa versa.

I recently escaped from Farcebook, so not an option. But I'll figure it out. Thanks for the info!

12. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Another one of our former forum members struggled getting eggs to hatch. I don't remember if he ever had any success. Maybe I'll go looking for his posts later to see what he tried.

13. BarbaraR

BarbaraR New Member

I had some golds - I was able to get some when a local breeder offered the to me. I REALLY like Brabanters for their antics and flight abilities. The ones I had were on the small side, but very cute and smart. Watch out for the overbred ones - which are common in the U.S. Check FB for the sites and the pics from Europe - wow they can be Beautiful!

Poultry Judge likes this.
  14. BarbaraR

BarbaraR New Member

Curious about where you are from? I'm from Virginia - it is not easy to find European line Brabanters.

15. Hermit's Garden

Hermit's Garden Member

I'm in Arizona, the eastern side, up in the White Mountains. I plan to order from ideal if I do go with Brabanters. Right now I'm so worn out from our house-finishing efforts, I'm tempted to go with a Layers Assortment just to get the hang of chickens before I start with a particular breed. :)

16. Poultry Judge

Yes exactly, the overbred ones are larger.

17. Poultry Judge

Often times it's the local breeders with a passion for the breed, who do the best job with them.

18. Poultry Judge

Currently in Ohio. When I used to go to college in Europe, early 1980s, I would ship birds to the States. It was easier to do then.

19. BarbaraR

BarbaraR New Member

And might not live more than a year or two.

20. BarbaraR

BarbaraR New Member

9 hour trip for me! If I ever can go to a National again, I'll be in touch.

Poultry Judge likes this.