Chicken Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from southeast Texas. We are new to raising chickens and to this forum. I have a question. We bought some red star hens. The people told us they should be laying eggs in about a week. It's been over a week? Is there anything special we need to do to their nests to get them laying?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, also from SE Texas! Most breeds start to lay between 4 and 6 months of age. Most hens prefer a dark, private place to lay, but I have never had them being too picky. I've had some that would lay an egg in the middle of the coop. I'm not sure how old your chickens are, but when they are ready to lay, they will lay regardless of the accommodations. Good luck!

·
Country Gurl
62 Posts
Welcome from West Texas. Chickens will start to lay when they are settled in to their new home. Lots of eggs in ur future.

VIVI

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hi! Welcome. :) Put a fake egg or golf ball in the nests so they know where they're suppose to lay their eggs when they're ready to lay. This has worked for me many times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the warm welcome and your replies! My family and I are really enjoying the chickens!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, from Se texas also!! I'm new to the forums, as well. We used the golf ball trick, and it seemed to work well, when our girls were ready to lay. Although, it may have just been a coincidence and they would have laid an egg anyways. lol I'd give them a little time to settle in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts