Chicken Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so excited to find this forum! My husband and I just started a new venture selling farm fresh live mealworms for sale grown locally. Its an odd business for two suburban New Yorkers but it comes with a story that might of interest to some of you.

We decided it would be fun to raise a few chicks but never anticipated how much we would grow to love our chicks as pets. A few months later we added a hedgehog to our pet menagerie. We discovered both of these very different pet types had something in common, they LOVED to eat fresh live mealworms. We ordered a large container of thousands of dried mealworms and was about halfway through it when we noticed some strange bugs in the container. Upon further research we discovered that our mealworms were from China. Since we eat the eggs from our chickens and are concerned about the overall health and well being of our pets, it made us uncomfortable to think that we were feeding them treats that had been shipped from a foreign country over 7000 miles away. We began searching for a more local alternative and, though they existed, most of the companies out there seemed to be trying to make a quick buck rather than focussing on responsibly raising mealworms to serve to customer's beloved pets. The idea was born and now we are proud to be selling mealworms that are grown here on our property, fed with local organic feed and managed by hand rather than machine.

On a more personal level we have 5 chickens we treat as pets and are expecting 4 more from My Pet Chicken next week!

Its tough being a start up business. We'd really appreciate it if you checked out and liked our Facebook Page, Sunshine Acre Worm Farm and also considered buying some mealworm treats from our online store!

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Welcome to the forum!That's an interesting story.Just a few days ago my husband and I talked about raising mealworms for my chickens.My flock gets run of the land here so they get plenty in the summer but the cold months are a different story.I'll check your website out after I get my chicken forum fix...

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
Hi and welcome! I think your business sounds really good and you may have found a good niche in the market. I will certainly check out this website. I've actually never thought of feeding meal worms. How do you store them?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your encouragement!

chickenqueen - As you note, mealworms are a great supplement in winter when insects are hard for our girls to find but many people also supplement the diets during molt season. I have some information about it on my website but will be adding more closer to molt season! http://sunshineacre.com/p/nutrition

seminolewind - They are fun to grow especially if you have children who can benefit from the science project aspect of it. Most people tire of it after the first cycle and find it easier to buy them. Others enjoy it and are able to maintain a colony. Those that buy stock up and save in the refrigerator! Here is some information about how to store them... http://sunshineacre.com/p/worm-care.

nannypattyrn - We were enjoying giving the dried ones to our girls until we realized they were from China and found some strange bugs in our container! That actually prompted us to start the fresh mealworm business!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Welcome to the best forum around for chicken lovers. I would buy from you if they were dried but I have a real problem with mealworms and grub type worms, just typing the words gives me the heebie jeebies. I certainly wouldn't put them in my refrigerator.

Kick off your shoes and stay a while, we have fun here. :)

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Z,if you keep them in a tightly closed container they won't escape,they just kind of hibernate.I give my flock 2 cups of a dog food,21% protein.They are little kibbles and my chickens love it.I let them out of the coop and they go straight to the front door and wait for breakfast.I've also had a woodpecker that comes in the winter months and one year had a pheasant come at dusk and eat the dog food.

·
Registered
565 Posts
welcome sunshine! nice to have someone around thats in the worm bidness. i'm sure you'll be part of the family in no time. we're nice to almost anybody...even those from NY :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have thought about raising my own meal worms before but never actually went as far as research to see how it's done.
For a lot of people it is easier to buy them.... Check out my website if you get a chance! I will soon be adding starter kits for those that want to grow them themselves!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.