Chicken Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is Kevin. I am from a small rural town on the edge of Lake Okeechobee. I am new to chickens and I will be posting pictures of my setup and my flock in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome from Northeast Florida.
I grew up in Palm Beach County and lived there many years. Back in the 70's I drove a truck and one of my delivery routes was around the Lake via SR80 thru South Bay and Moore Haven, up to Okeechobee City and back to West Palm Beach. I'll bet I wouldn't even recognize it now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks you all. I live in Moore Haven. Nothing to that town we keep losing businesses. I imagine I won't hang around to much longer myself. Okeechobee, and Clewiston are not doing to bad.

This week I am going to get some chicken wire put up for a small pen. My coop I got from snaplock chicken coops. I have four white rocks, four reds, and four bantams. we will see how this turns out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We have Orpingtons and Auracanas at the moment. We have had Faveroles and Marrans (sp?) before as well.
Make sure you put your birds up in the coop at dusk for the night, every night. A racoon will go right through 1" mesh chicken wire. I have lost birds this way, even during the daylight on occasion.
I have a more substantial barrier now, because our little homestead butts up to hundreds of acres of woods, and there are other woods/tree farms all around us that are full of critters of various types. I still put them up at dusk every night and my wife lets them out in the morning when she feeds them.
Kevin, there is nothing finer than eating eggs fresh from the source that are not full of food additves and antibiotics. You will really enjoy your birds, I garantee it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts