Chicken Forum banner

Hello from south west Fl

495 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  happyharvesting 
#1 ·
Hi all! I'm brand new to raising chickens and must admit living in SWFl I'm afraid of all the wild life that can be a danger to my newly adopted hens. I'm just beginning construction of my coop and run,any recommendations to help keep the girls safe?

#3 ·
Hi! Welcome aboard! Only things I can think of is to make sure to keep grass cut short around their home area and away from any shrubs or trees that tend to burn easy. Here we have certain trees that burn up like kindle wood fast. We always keep the grass cut super short too because it makes a "break" so fire can't spread quite so easy. I have an idiot neighbor who is notorious for dumping hot smoldering wood ashes in the tall dead grass field. He's caused more than a few grass fires over the years so we keep a fire break between our property and his. Also another idiot neighbor across the road from me who insists on burning his garbage even though we'll be under a no burn fire ban because of the high fire danger hazards. :mad:

What kind of chickens did you get? We LOVE chicken pics! :D

#4 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm more concerned about the bobcats and panthers I keep the yard trimmed well because of my garden to try to reduce nasty bugs that will eat til its gone. I will be taking on 3 hens from a family that has to move and can't take them with, I will post pics as soon as I get the run up and everyone settled. I am really looking forward to it all and loving all the pics everyone shares!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.