Hello from Phoenix :)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by AZ Turtle, Sep 15, 2020.

1. AZ Turtle

AZ Turtle New Member

Brand new to the coop life. My best friend recently aquired a 1 acre horse property after adopting her 3 nephews which brings her little family to 8. My family numbers 4. A woman near me needs to rehome a few 7 month old hens and the coop. I've had animals (goats, geese, ducks, dogs, cats, turtles, lizards, parrots) but never chickens before. I've been doing research for a few weeks now and we were going to begin the coop build this Saturday and look at chicks next week, but this might be the better way to go. I'm excited and terrified at the same time. I'm sure I'll be stalking these pages, advice is appreciated

Poultry Judge likes this.
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

And we love the delight people discover what it is to have chickens in their lives.

You'll have to remind us from time to time you're in AZ. What people had to do in the NE is a bit different from some of the challenges you'll face. That sounds bad. I'm thinking more about how to keep them cool in the hottest months. That's where a misting system is your best friend.

How soon is this going to happen?

Poultry Judge and AZ Turtle like this.

3. AZ Turtle

AZ Turtle New Member

Saturday. Misters or an evap and lots of shade. These birds made it through the hottest summer on record, so I'm praying they are well acclimated. I've got a few friends that keep chickens locally.

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.
  4. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Welcome and thanks for sharing! We'd love to hear the hot weather tips from your neck of the woods.

AZ Turtle likes this.
  5. AZ Turtle

AZ Turtle New Member

Thank you!

6. danathome

danathome Active Member

Hello from Scotts Hill, TN-I'm new too; to the group, not to chickens.

AZ Turtle likes this.
  7. robin416

Where the heck is Scotts Hill? I lived half way between Summertown and Hohenwald for 8 years.

8. danathome

danathome Active Member

20 minutes south and east of Lexington on Hwy 100; between Reagan and Decatauresville (probably misspelled).

AAAppp.jpg

AZ Turtle and Overmountain1 like this.
  9. robin416

You aren't far from where I lived. Well, if you take in to account country miles.

10. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

11. danathome

danathome Active Member

We moved here from WI after I retired from teaching; to escape the severe cold. In a lot of ways I miss Wisconsin, but not its weather. How about you? Why did you leave TN?

12. robin416

Have you ever heard about southern people being very closed to outsiders? After 8 years there was no one we could consider close friends. Then there was the tornado thing happening every other week. The lack of good supportive medical care and only a Walmart for shopping.

We studied on this for nearly a year. Found where we are now fit most of our needs. And it turns out the people here are beyond friendly to new folks. It was the right move for us.

13. danathome

danathome Active Member

The same for us. My apologies to all the wonderful people in TN; you do not live near me and mine. If we could afford to move, we would immediately. Life has become far more difficult for living here.

14. robin416

I lived near Chattanooga for a while, I know that getting away from the isolated communities things are much more warm and welcoming to strangers. I also lived in the N. GA mountains for a time, Fannin County, people were wonderful there.

15. AZ Turtle

AZ Turtle New Member

I live in Central Phoenix. Nice to meet you too. Thanks for having me.

16. robin416

You live in Phoenix? As in the city? It's been so long since I've lived in a city I can't even remember what that's like.