Chicken Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy !
It is a pleasure to me to have the opportunity to join you folks here at THE Chicken Forum !!!
Presently I have 9 chickens. 1 Brown Leghorn Rooster named "Corn Flake", who is "The BOSS"...., 1 White Leghorn Rooster, 1 Buff Orpington Rooster. (too many roosters) The hens are: 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Easter-Egger who lays Blue Eggs, 1 Barred Rock that is PROBABLY a Cuckoo Maran, I think, because I get a VERY DARK brown egg occasionally.

I plan to incubate and hatch some eggs in the next couple of months.

It is just me and my Partner, "Crockett" - the Boxer-Dog, who live here in this old house and care for the chickens and do such other chores as we are able to do. We mostly "take-it-easy" and have a GOOD TIME here away from the Hustle-Bustle. It was TIME to slow-down.......

Looking forward to discussing Chickens, etc. with you folks ! :)
Bruce ( and Crockett )

·
Banned
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANKSfor the WELCOMES !
Yes, Crockett IS a "Good Chicken Dog".....when I'm WITH him....but he LIKES to PLAY and I think he MIGHT "Play-a-Chicken-to-Death"...IF I left him alone with them ! ( IF he had been raised with them from a puppy -he wasn't-, I'm sure he would be more careful.)
As it is...he just makes sure that none of the chickens get near me when we are with them together. It doesn't matter. I don't have a MEAN Rooster at the present time. My previous rooster, "Oro Blanco de Gallo", was an ATTACK ROOSTER....but he lost a fight with a BIG ****.
-Bruce (ReTIRED)

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Gallo's white gold? Was that his name? Or white gold Rooster? Story behind that? Latin name is Galliformes - so I'm thinking Gallo may be Spanish for Rooster.

·
Banned
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gallo's white gold? Was that his name? Or white gold Rooster? Story behind that? Latin name is Galliformes - so I'm thinking Gallo may be Spanish for Rooster.
Ha-Ha !!! You are CORRECT !!! :)
His name was: "White-Gold, the Rooster"
Here is a picture of him:

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Haha! Not bad for someone who took French in HS and College. I got the Latin from my medicine study and I have tried to learn Spanish, but I'm pretty hopeless at languages. Not a great verbal memory.

He looks something like mine. As far as I can tell my Roo is a leghorn cross. Looks like a Delaware but wrong body type. He is changing since he's on better food and has a better life now.

Honestly, yours is better looking.

Attachments

·
Banned
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EnergyVet....
YOU have a VERY NICE LOOKING Rooster ! ....and a NICE Coop, also !

I think that Ole "Oro Blanco de Gallo" was PROBABLY a "Golden Comet" (half-breed Sex-Link chicken)....but I wouldn't know for sure. He was a gift from a friend.

Incidentally....since you are a Vet.....I'll mention that my Step-Daughter is a Vet-Technician who manages 2 Veterinary Clinics and has written books on the subject of managing such businesses. She also Teaches and Lectures on such related subjects. She got a GOOD START from her Mother who wrote and self-published 2 books on Wolf-Hybrid Dogs which she raised here at "Dottie's Farm".

BEST REGARDS,
Bruce (ReTIRED)

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
That was my starter coop before chicken math happened. There wasn't enough room in there for them and they were free ranging in about a week. I keep the silkies in there because they don't see too well and they are not great at self preservation. They get to free roam on a limited basis under supervision. I just cleaned the whole thing out put in fresh hay and sifted out all the sand. I'll move it over grass again tomorrow. Takes about a week for them to mash it all down. I use it like a tractor.

Anyway, Lance, my white-ish Roo lives in the tool shed with his two girlies. I put the babies out today for a few hours in the sunshine. They are such fresh little things! They pecked my dog, my fingers and were nosing the silkies through the wire. Very bold for something so small. My big hen was really not sure what to think at all. If its nice tomorrow I'll get some pics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts