Hello from New Hampster

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Thomas Lippert, May 10, 2020.

1. Thomas Lippert

Thomas Lippert Member

Finally took the leap and got into chickens. I've been wanting to do this for quite some time. My wife thinks I've over built thier run, due to the predators that live in the woods behind my home, raccoons, fisher cats, weasels, etal. But I say hey. Oh and above, we have a huge hawk population. I added drip waters, lighting, a water tap, well as a security camera.

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Well, your wife is going to say I've enabling your need to over build the run. Two suggestions, sandwich that wire under another piece of wood. Battens work really well. It keeps preds from pulling the wire off. And is that only screen on the door? It's going to need hardware cloth.

I really hate doing this to people but the reason for the forum is to make the best life possible for the feathered ones under our care. If that's the coop I see in the pic, it's only big enough for one bird. The absolute minimum of "open" floor space is 4 square feet per bird.

Welcome to the forum. You'll enjoy having the feathered ones in your life.

3. Thomas Lippert

Thomas Lippert Member

Thanks there is hardware cloth on the lower 4'of the door. The chicken wire and hardware cloth is secured by about 5000 staples between me and my daughter and 2 pneumatic staplers. I will add some trim for added protection. I also drove landscaping nails every 6" around the run. In addition I encircled the run with pavers.

4. TomC

TomC Active Member

I don't think it's possible to overbuild a run. Predators are crafty devils, and can figure out ways to get in that we would never think of.

I can't see you pic, check to make sure it's set to public, not private. Otherwise, only the admins, like Robin, can see them.

Thomas Lippert likes this.
  5. robin416

That's great on your over building the run for safety. It's so much better than going outside and finding devastation.

One of the reasons they suggest hardware cloth at the bottom is how strong racoons can be. I've had an incident where they actually tore the wire. They couldn't pull it out because it was sandwiched. Luckily for me there were two layers of wire and they gave up after finding the second layer.

6. robin416

Tom is right, if your setting is on private no one can see the pics but me and Sylie.

7. Thomas Lippert

Thomas Lippert Member

Silly me I can't find where to change the gallery settings...

8. Thomas Lippert

Thomas Lippert Member

Silly mei can't find where the gallery settings are... :(

9. robin416

I looked, I can't fix it for you. Let me holler at one of the others that fixed theirs. It might be in the preferences you set when you setup the media account.

10. robin416

I sent her a message but it's the middle of the night where she is so it might be a while.

There's something about media being private or public. It needs to be set to public for others to see. I don't know where that is.

11. Thomas Lippert

Thomas Lippert Member

Thanks!

12. robin416

Now I have to wait for Tom to show up again to see if it's there.

I went through mine and never found a setting to make it private or public. I don't use the media thing because I upload right from my computer.

See that upload a file button on the bottom right? That will allow downloads directly from your hard drive.

13. TomC

TomC Active Member

It worked that time. I never make a gallery. When you are making a post that you want to include a picture in, use the green box at the bottom that says "Upload a File".

Also, to make it so that everyone can see it, at the top of the page, hover, don't click, over you name, then go down and click on "Privacy". then you can go down to the "People Who May" area and set everything to the most liberal setting. I think by default they are set to "Only Those That Follow".

That should allow everyone to see all your pics.

14. robin416

So, that's where that setting is. That's stupid, it should be in the gallery area.

Anyway, you don't want to use the "Only those that Follow" setting. I don't follow you and I can see your stuff but then me being staff might be why. If I remember right mine is set for all forum members.

What I'm getting at is there isn't a bunch of following going on on the site so you could be leaving people out that didn't know they had to follow you to participate.

TomC likes this.
  15. TomC

TomC Active Member

Your coop looks good. My only suggestion would be heavier wire at the top, raccoons are very agile climbers and will shred standard chicken wire (poultry netting). The hardware cloth around the bottom is excellent because coons can and will reach right through fencing and grab chickens that are on the ground. I only use chicken wire to divide birds, for example, I am going to use chicken wire on the top of my run to protect from hawks.

16. robin416

If they're in a secure coop at night, like yours, he doesn't really need to do the tougher wire on the top. Is that why you've spent so much on hardware cloth? You were going to add it to the top too?

Although, if that's the coop in the pic, it's way too small.

17. Thomas Lippert

Thomas Lippert Member

I know,the wife wanted it. I'm starting coop#2 this week. I'll keep that one for the youngsters as needed

18. Thomas Lippert

Thomas Lippert Member

I tend to over build things. Besides hardware cloth isn't overly priced.