Chicken Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am from Mid-Michigan and grew up with chickens all my life. My wife and I live on a 3/4 acre lot in a small township now and are looking to get chickens fairly soon. So far, this site has been a god send!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in a township with Chicken ordinances; while I realize the Michigan Right to Farm Act protects me, I will probably go with a nice quiet breed like Australorp or Orpington just to be appeasing to the locals. What's the quietest breed in your opinion?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Welcome to the group :) In my bunch my Silver Lakenvelder, Spalsh Andalusian, and White Cochin are my quietest girls. The rest "talk" all the time.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I have an australorp that's just over a year old now. Lilah's just a doll; follows me everywhere. Very sweet, docile, beautiful girl. Not noisy either like my rhodes or barred rock. Also very intelligent breed. Gets along with others well. Another I have is part australorp part leghorn. She too is a lot like Lilah. I have heard that orphington's tend to be more noisy. If I had known what australorps were like before I got the others, I would have gone more with that breed. Love my other girls too but they are more bossy and hard to blend in other chickens with. Does will in cold & hot climate. Hope this helps you with your decision. Good luck!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I live in a township with Chicken ordinances; while I realize the Michigan Right to Farm Act protects me, I will probably go with a nice quiet breed like Australorp or Orpington just to be appeasing to the locals. What's the quietest breed in your opinion?
Which township? Depending on how rural it is, it could be changed. ;)

Welcome, from near the Gratiot/Montcalm county line :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts