Hello from Michigan!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Trauma, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Trauma

Trauma New Member

Hello,

Just wanted to stop in and say hi, I've been browsing the forums for a couple weeks and decided to make an account today. My wife and I currently have six hens of the following breeds.

2X Silver Laced Wyandotte
    2X Barred Rock
    1 Buff Orpington
    1 Rhode Island Red

I live in mid-Michigan close to Birch Run if any of you are familiar with the area. Thanks for having me!

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Hello Trauma! Welcome from the UP! :D Glad to have you join us!

3. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Welcome from NJ! Enjoy your visit to chicken land. Make sure you get a sticker!

4. rob

rob New Member

hello and welcome

5. kiwicsi

kiwicsi Junior Member

Hi there from New Zealand.

6. Riverdale

Riverdale New Member

Hi from just west of Alma! ;)

7. SunnySoap

SunnySoap Junior Member

Hi from NC, I am new also and just trying to figure the forums out. Looking for information on why only 1 of my 12 hens are laying. The one laying is an Austrolorp, the others are 4 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Wyndottes, 3 Cochins & 2 Brahmas. I strung up rope lights to give them a sense of more daylight, but that is not helping. They appear to be finished with molting. I am feeding them laying mash, and they free range every afternoon. Been giving them extra protein like tuna in water. Any ideas?

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Think maybe they're just taking a break. BTW welcome to chicken land. Enjoy your visit.

9. SunnySoap

SunnySoap Junior Member

Ty Energyvet, but not the answer I was looking for

10. bsshoncho

bsshoncho New Member

Hi from Kentucky! I do not eat poultry, so... No KFC for me! I'm mainly a waterfowl man, But... I love all fowl.

11. bsshoncho

bsshoncho New Member

SunnySoap, you should try offering new activities. A lot of breeds to take breaks during fall/winter months. Leghorns & other white egg layer breeds are more prone to lay all year long. How old are your hens? They could have retired? Sometimes a presence of a rooster will get the gals going. Are you sure they're not laying out while free ranging?

12. DansChickens

DansChickens Member

Hello from Shenandoah , Virginia !