Chicken Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new to chickens! So new my babies haven't arrived yet! They'll be here the week of June. I'm so excited. My brooder is almost complete and we break ground on the coop tomorrow (Friday 5-24). I cannot wait!

Got any advice for a newbie?

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hi! Welcome aboard! What kind are you getting?
Advice - Keep them warm as babies. Spoil them lots. Take lots of pictures. They grow up so fast! Have lots of fun! Chickens are extremely addicting! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awe your babies are adorable! I ordered 2 polish hens, 1 Rhode island red, 1 Sicilian buttercup, and a meal maker (I believe they are red sex link) you're supposed to donate all the eggs from this one to the needy. :)

I'm already planning my next order haha!

Here's a photo of my brooder (still being made)

ForumRunner_20130524_145429.jpg

ForumRunner_20130524_145448.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
Awe your babies are adorable! I ordered 2 polish hens, 1 Rhode island red, 1 Sicilian buttercup, and a meal maker (I believe they are red sex link) you're supposed to donate all the eggs from this one to the needy. :)

I'm already planning my next order haha!

Here's a photo of my brooder (still being made)
That brooder is soooo cute!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That brooder is soooo cute!
:eek: Thanks so much! I am so excited. We were supposed to break ground on my coop today but that didn't happen. If they (my hubby and our handy man) keep putting it off it's going to get bigger and bigger! I have already went from wanting one just big enough for my 5 to making sure I have enough room to grow my flock to 11 or 12 hehe ;)

·
977 Posts
Hello! Great idea of going bigger with the coop! I did not do that and now I have 5 coops! Also a duck pen! Love my feathered babies! Enjoy!

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
:eek: Thanks so much! I am so excited. We were supposed to break ground on my coop today but that didn't happen. If they (my hubby and our handy man) keep putting it off it's going to get bigger and bigger! I have already went from wanting one just big enough for my 5 to making sure I have enough room to grow my flock to 11 or 12 hehe ;)
You're learning chicken math now!! Welcome to the forum, neighbor, and Roll Tide!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm awesome at chicken math- planned on getting 4 pullets, now I have 6 pullets and 6 baby broiler cockerels. Planned on 4, ended up with 12. Luckily, I have the space and resources to house and care for them all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm from south ga. The best thing is to enjoy your chickens and get to know them. Eaach one has a different personality. We turn ours out in the afternoon and leave the door open. They are trained to stay in the back yard and do very well. Every now and then they have to be renforced but nothing to it. We trained each to eat from our fingers and one will fly up in my wifes lap. The one we never guessed would. Cain't never tell-just wait and see!

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Hi I am less than a week into chicken keeping so we are fellow newbies! My initial advice is to have your chicken first aid kit ready to go because you never know what might happen. The one thing I have been unable to find is Blu-Kote or Vetericyn and wouldn't you know it there was a little pecking incident where it was needed. Sent my husband on a mission and he found a bottle 30 miles away! Had I realized some supplies were gonna be so hard to find I would have ordered them by mail! BTW your brooder is awesome! Enjoy your journey into chicken keeping they are truely entertaining
!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi I am less than a week into chicken keeping so we are fellow newbies! My initial advice is to have your chicken first aid kit ready to go because you never know what might happen. The one thing I have been unable to find is Blu-Kote or Vetericyn and wouldn't you know it there was a little pecking incident where it was needed. Sent my husband on a mission and he found a bottle 30 miles away! Had I realized some supplies were gonna be so hard to find I would have ordered them by mail! BTW your brooder is awesome! Enjoy your journey into chicken keeping they are truely entertaining
!
Oh Thank you for the advice! I do see that our local Tractor Supply has Blu-Kote in stock so we'll certainly get some of that asap!

Thanks we've added a bit more to it since I posted those photos. I am still waiting on Lowes to ship my light supplies so we can get that installed (I am hoping it will be here this week) Here is another updated photo. Also we measured and staked out the area for our coop, we're going with a 14x8 coop + run, and 6x8 of that being coop. I want to make sure I have room for the chickies I am certain I will get in the future :D:p

464700_10200692709533292_1368352656_o.jpg

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts