Hello from Central Virginia!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ssearnhardt, Jan 21, 2013.

1. ssearnhardt

ssearnhardt Bantam Member

I have 2 small flocks of bantams. Japanese Bantams with other high flying Japanese/yardbird mix. They are free range. I also have 4 Cochin Bantam pulleys and a pair of "true Araucana"... Rumpless/tufted & no beard. They have a kennel building and run. I don't let them free range... They are sweet... Not flighty like the others!

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. :)

3. ssearnhardt

Thanks! Where are you?

4. Lissa

Lissa Junior Member

Welcome! Hello from NJ!

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Welcome to chickenland from NJ.

6. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

7. ssearnhardt

Dies anyone have any ideas in helping chickens keep warm... Short of a furnace? It won't go UP to freezing until Friday. Bright sunshine and dry but COLD... For here at least.

8. jen3910

jen3910 New Member

My coop is seven degrees right now. Once the sun hits it the temp will go up but I feel bad for them. I'd like ideas too.

9. jen3910

jen3910 New Member

This is what I did. I bought a clay pot and saucer, a make a lamp kit and a 150 watt bulb. The bulb is suspended from the top. We will see how it goes! Took just a few minutes to make and was less than thirty bucks.

Attached Files:

10. jen3910

jen3910 New Member

Decided on a 75 watt instead. The 150 got really hot.

11. rob

rob New Member

hello and welcome aboard.

12. ssearnhardt

So it's totally enclosed except wire and you sit it in the coop with them?

13. ssearnhardt

Does anyone have a picture... Please!

14. jen3910

jen3910 New Member

I set the whole thing on a half cinder block right in the coop. The only thing exposed is the wire. My concern was that the heat would build up too much and cause either the bulb or pot to shatter and that is why I switched to a seventy five watt bulb. When I went to bed last night it was 9 degrees outside and 22 in the coop. This morning it is ten outside and 25 in the coop. Not too bad I guess. I didn't really want to heat it at all but when I saw it was only three degrees in there yesterday I wanted to do something for just the coldest days.

And my coop is 4x5 and pretty well ventilated. I threw an extra thick blanket over the roof and covered that with a tarp to help with heat retention.

15. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

16. ssearnhardt

VERY HELPFUL.. Thank you. I'll do it tonight! I have them in a building built to be a dog kennel. They have adjoining 4x5 dog boxes so ill do 2!

17. ssearnhardt

Thanks for your GREAT IDEA! I went to Walmart. The "bottle lamp kit" was $7, the 10" clay pot was $6... They wanted $6 for the saucer but I bought a $1.53 concrete 12x12x 2" plain paver block instead. Total cost $15.50 ish! FANTASTIC!! THANK YOU ALL

18. PouletdePouf

PouletdePouf Hangin' with my Peeps

Hi ssearnhardt! I'm in central VA too & new to forum. My coop is not heated, lots of straw & top ventilated. Everyone's doing well but have to bust ice since this recent freeze has come along. I've been pouring new water in every a.m. & p.m. to make sure no one dehydrates.

19. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

Does it get cold in Virginia???

Greeting from SW Ohio and I don't use any heat in my coops and we get some very cold days each winter but Buckeyes are very cold tolerant chickens!!!

20. PouletdePouf

PouletdePouf Hangin' with my Peeps

Hi Buckeye Chickens! Yes, it gets cold but not too often. Thank goodness! For the past week, temps have been hovering around freezing. This winter, we've been getting 4-5 days of cold, then 3-4 days of "spring", then back to cold. My hens are getting confused, egg production is feast or famine.