Chicken Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Just wanted to introduce myself. We live in Central NY, about an hour south of Syracuse or 20 miles from Cornell. We own a large horse farm and will very soon be getting our first hen-she's blind, hence my screen name. We are also getting a disabled Pekin duck.

Of course I've done a lot of research and reading. Helen, our blind hen does see some sort of light through the cataracts b/c she started laying-she's about 6 months old, about an egg every day or so. Her current owner, a veteran chicken owner is stumped about Helen. I have raised many differently challenged animals-from blind cats to a colt who had scoliosis-came from a Thoroughbred farm, so it seemed fitting Helen and Hercules, the physically disabled duck come here. Our horse farm is for breeding, training, lessons and I am a 4-H leader. I also own a therapeutic riding/equine assisted therapy program and know that Helen and Hercules will be great ambassadors. We don't serve those most disabled but moreso those who are more ambulatory and communicative.

I can go on but here's a beginning. We'll be getting a friend for both Helen and Hercules and their pens will be safe and secure for each of them. My 18 year old daughter and I are already coming up with therapeutic measures to protect Hercules's leg. He'll be one fashionable duck! Thank you!

J

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Welcome to the Forum or as I like to call it, Chicken Land. I'm in NJ but I just got back from a trip to Ithaca as my son goes to the music conservatory there. Glad to have you aboard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks E, I am an native of Ithaca and most of my family is still living there. Our farm is in the next county (Cortland), where it's much cheaper to live.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Maybe we can trade chicks in the spring or something. My coop and run have just shipped. I will have housing very soon. Then on to supplies and perhaps electricity. Then in April - babies!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chicks

Thanks for the offer E, I am keeping just Helen and another buddy. It's more for them being ambassadors then eggs per say. If I do end up getting more you'll be at the top of my list to contact. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts