Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time with chickens. After a year I was finally able to convince my girlfriend we should get chickens. I brought 8 home from work 2 weeks ago. 3 Cornish cross 2 americanas and 3 barred rock I believe. I'm in the process of building the coop on the weekends. They outgrew the first brooder I built within a week so now they are in our daughters old playpen in the garage. My run will be bigger and roomier as soon as I get the coop built

Attachments

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hello to you and welcome! Nice coop you got there! I hope you have a fun time with your chooks! ;) :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are pretty excited. I settled on the design for the coop after watching way too many chicken coop videos on YouTube. I got most of the materials for free from work and traded a neighbor some Homebrew for the rest.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure yet. The girlfriend says she refuses to eat them. But she is starting some all natural diet and what better way to know what goes in your food than to raise it yourself! I know I'll put at least one of them in my smoker and probably freeze the other two. If it goes ok I may start raising them regularly

·
Registered
320 Posts
Looks like a great start. I had a lot of fun building my chicken tractor out of scrap as planning as I went along.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Last Spring my husband & I built a coop and got 6 chicks. The last year has been so much fun! We enjoy having hens to the fullest. Now we wouldn't have it any other way. Hope you have as much fun with this as we have!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the warm welcome everyone! I just got home tonight (I work out of town during the week) and my Cornish cross chicks are HUGE! Everyone else is coming along nicely. Cleaned the playpen out and filled the food and water and put a large stick from an ash tree in the backyard in for them to play with. They are terrified of me. The Cornish not as much as the others ( they have no idea what's in store for them or they would be) but for the most part they run and squawk like crazy when I try to pick them up. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and warm here in Washington so I'm planning on letting them play in the grass for a little bit and interact with them as much as I can do they aren't like this when they are older.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have you tried feeding them out of your hand? That's why ours are tame. From the time they were chicks we have fed them out of our hands and now when they see us coming they come running and cluck wondering what I have for them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Britt0623 said:
Have you tried feeding them out of your hand? That's why ours are tame. From the time they were chicks we have fed them out of our hands and now when they see us coming they come running and cluck wondering what I have for them.
Tried that today but they weren't interested. I did take them outside 3 at a time and let them run around and play with the kids. I left the tv on in the garage for them as well.

Another question, they are 3 weeks old. How long before they can eat weeds and plants and what not?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Updated pics

I decided since I'm going to cover the roof in plastic I no longer need to angle my roof to keep the rain off. It will be slightly just not as much as I had planned. Almost done. Just need to fill in the roof and extend the run

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts