Chicken Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...am I asking for trouble here? I have two pullets, 5 months, and the 3rd ended up being a rooster, so he goes back on Wednesday and gets replaced. So, with only two pullets already in the pecking order, will be adding just one more cause a lot of trouble? As it is, the pullets I have get along well, my BR gets pecked by the RIR from time to time, but nothing crazy or blood drawing. The rooster has plucked a few of her feathers out leaving a bit of a bald spot that must be fun to pick at. Aside from that, they get along well. Will the new pullet automatically be the bottom hen, will there be a dangerous power struggle? I only have a small coop and a 10'x3' attached run. I pen them in a yard 60'x5' during the day. How should I go about introducing a new bird? When I got the bird initially, I had them in the run for a week before letting them in the yard, but I don't think I have that option with this new bird. Do I need to make an extra place for her to acclimate? What about at night, I don't have an extra roosting area/hen house. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, should I try for another Buff Orpington with these two I already have, or might an Australourp be better? Just thinking of what the rancher has that are easy to sex.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Sorry no help here. The only time I tried to integrate 1 lone bird was one of my ducklings last year. The entire flock wanted to kill him. I had to keep him caged for a few weeks before they finally ignored him. When I let him out to free range with the rest, even being bigger than the chickens they still went after him. This year I added 3 ducklings and the chickens didnt even bother with them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I'm not sure about getting two more, chickens are addicting, but it just wouldn't be fair to them with the space I have. Plus my city only allows 2 so I'm already pushing it. Maybe I should just return the rooster and leave it at two? I heard its better to have at least three, in case you loose one. Ehhh, not sure what to do. Anyone else?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts