Chicken Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at hedemore hens. Does anyone have experience with these sweedish snow birds? Claims of laying into the 0 degree zone and free ranging well past that is alluring to a guy like me who most likely will always live in the snow.

·
Registered
377 Posts
A friend of mine has them. They do great in our climate. Keep laying throughout the winter. Expensive though and not likely to be able to find a different blood line. Greenfire are the only ones who've imported so even if you get from different breeders they're going to be related to sons degree.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have found that greenfire are the only ones. Sadly jenny at greenfire is unwilling to send eggs to hatch... She only want to sell birds of that breed right now.
I did find someone who is willing to sell me eggs.. Just gotta wait my turn

·
Registered
377 Posts
They definitely don't sell eggs. I'm looking to import Lavender Wyandottes from them this spring. At $99 per chick plus import fees I am still on the fence. My friend who has the Hedemora is selling all of her flocks due to divorce. She imported over $2000 worth of birds from Greenfire last year. That's who I got my splash Isbars from, her last two chicks of that breed. Turns out they're both roosters. Now I have to bring those in from down south too. Rare breeds are hard to work with. I guess that's why they're rare!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My birds have been good, mixed flock of mix breeds I'm sure. I'm just ready to make the next step and try my hand at building a pure breed flock of truly heritage breed birds.
These hedemora birds are ideal for what I want. And for the right price I can get greenfire line eggs. I just need to wait for my incubator to empty out and I will hive it a try

1 - 5 of 5 Posts