Chicken Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My quail are having problems with the heat in Arizona. They get ice water twice a day and a frozen water bottle to lay against. Any other ideas other than bringing the cage into the house? They make a mess with the sand baths daily. Thanks

·
Registered
250 Posts
poodlemom5 said:
My quail are having problems with the heat in Arizona. They get ice water twice a day and a frozen water bottle to lay against. Any other ideas other than bringing the cage into the house? They make a mess with the sand baths daily. Thanks
For my chickens I get a fan and put it by the coop on low. It works great for me!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am also raising quail in Arizona. For my covey. I alternate between a fan and a mist system. They seem to thrive on the mist system, however, it leaves half of their coop a mess. If you mist often make sure you're prepared for an increase in bugs and odors.

Egg production seems to be higher on mist days vs the fan. Some of my girls also seem to love playing in the water.

I made ice blocks to put in front of my fan. Haven't tried it out yet but it should cool off your birds more. As long as your birds are full grown, you shouldn't have to worry about drowning.

I have a couple large trays buried to help keep their sand in. It makes it last a little longer.

The breeder I bought mine from suggested adding burlap around the cage and periodically misting. This should create a cooling effect. I may try it out soon.

Hope this helps.
Ps I would love to see your quail pen. Quail seem to be the latest and greatest in the valley of the sun!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My quail live in a cage with sand on the bottom. The mature hens lay every day. I live in an HOA so can't have a pen on grass like most. Hoping to move in the fall and expand my animals. What part of phoenix are you in. I also belong to valley permaculture alliance. Great classes and resources in the valley

·
Registered
40 Posts
When my 6-7 week old Coturnix should have starting to lay, the temperature here in Lake Elsinore CA was bouncing back and forth from 110* to 114*. They only started laying after installed a few chicken nipple drinkers into the wide mouth Gatorade bottles filled with ice. I am new to raising and breeding quail. I have gotten so much good advice from the Internet. Just hatched my first 15 (Lost one chick in first 6 hours) It was drinking and eating. with success from a little giant with fan and egg turner. I've got 60 more in the oven now. The night temps are cooling off. Even the chickens are laying better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts