heat lamp location for baby chicks

Discussion in 'Chick Raising Forum' started by Marissa_richmond, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Marissa_richmond

Marissa_richmond New Member

Hey everyone.
    this is my first time ever having chickens.

i just bought 6 little chicks and they are in an extra large dog crate right now. how far away or how close should the heat lamp be? its been a few hours and they are ever so slowly moving farther from the lamp. is it too far down?

its a 250 watt bulb. the dog crate is maybe a little over like 2ft tall and I have the lamp hanging about halfway in the create.

Attached Files:

2. InnKeeper

InnKeeper New Member

It does look low, but you need a thermometer at chick level to be sure. It should read about 95 degrees at this age.

3. OliviaE

OliviaE New Member

Ya it seems a little close to te ground...I would higher it and put a thermometer on the bottom. The temp should be 95....by the way....WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL LAND IF CHICKENS!!! I also just got my first chicks ever!! And I also have 6 cuties! Have fun with them they r so fun!

4. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

The chicks will let you know ... if they cuddle they are cool, if they seek out the outer bands of the light they are hot.

Move the light as needed ...

Best of luck!

5. farmhand

farmhand Junior Member

Heat Lamp.jpg
    I found this on the internet.

6. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Haha! I was thinking of that while I was reading. That exact picture! Woo Hoo for you!

7. farmhand

farmhand Junior Member

I posted it first because you were too slow on your iphone 4.

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

That was me not the phone. I'm at fault being a faulty human. Not my marvelous iPhone!

9. Marissa_richmond

thanks everyone! they seem to be pretty comfortable in the middle of the cage for now.

10. VIVI

VIVI Country Gurl

Happy chicks are quiet and are all over the brooder Hon. The light is a little low. Main thing wach for drafts or to hot.

VIVI

11. Marissa_richmond

should my lamp be in the corner, or the middle of the crate? i moved it up higher but its still in the corner

12. farmhand

farmhand Junior Member

I would say it's not so important where you place the lamp, as how the chicks react to it. Listen for happy noises and chicks that are spread out. Look at that graph again posted in this thread.

13. DottieB

DottieB New Member

I have mine in a kennel like that. Room temperature averages 75 degrees. The first week my lamp was 3 feet high, I have been raising it ever since, I have it clipped to a ladder outside the kennel, never had it inside the kennel.

I cut boards around the sides to keep their pine chips in, unfortunately tonight we ran out and so they just have the newspaper to sleep on. My chicks love living inside the dog kennel. They are very happy chickens. =)

image-2323113889.jpg

14. ReTIRED

ReTIRED New Member

THIS will take you a another posting of mine regarding this Subject:

https://www.chickenforum.com/f38/chicks-3288/#post41094

I neglected to mention that their area IS generally free-of drafts....because ...it is shielded by 2 parts of my house ( in the corner of an L-shape...away from the prevailing winds. )

Bruce (ReTIRED)

15. Jason

Jason New Member

Dottie, the roost is a nice touch.

16. DottieB

DottieB New Member

Thanks, they love it and use it all the time.