Hawk? Attack

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by robin416, Jan 7, 2021.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I was going outside for something but I forget now what it was.

Just as I get out there I see one of my Guineas scrambling for cover as another bird swooped down on it's back. It wasn't any bigger than the Guinea but it still had me running and yelling to scare it off.

I can see some disturbed feathers on the Guinea and now because the attack happened so close to the coop I can't convince them right now to come near it.

2. danathome

danathome Well-Known Member

I hope you didn't/don't lose any of your birds. I saw a hawk come swooping in this morning low and behind a row of trees. None of the flock saw it, but I did. Grabbed he 22 and got off a shot but missed; flew away. Dang things are getting sneaky. And brave-did not fly right away-just sat there for a minute and then flew; I have a single shot.

3. robin416

I'm less liable to lose a Guinea to a hawk because of their size and strength. I won't say that they won't suffer a wound but they really are less likely to be killed.

They're all up now because of the rain.

I think the biggest problem is spotting them in the trees since they blend so well. That swooping thing you saw is what always alerted me to their presence.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  4. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

The hawks here used to get my guineas, but they were pretty large hawks.

5. robin416

Fortunately for my birds most of the hawks I see around here are not much bigger than they are.

I do have to correct something I said about swooping. There is a certain sound the Guineas make under cover that tells me there's one nearby. If I search the trees in the vicinity I usually spot it. And when the hawk sees me standing there flies off after a bit.

Hermit's Garden likes this.
  6. danathome

This is why I saw it from the patio, but the birds, lower down, did not. Had I not been there this LARGE hawk could have easily taken a duck or small bantam.

7. robin416

Smaller birds definitely would have no chance against one.

Although I had a Hamburg bantam Momma go after a hawk that was four times her size once. She was one ticked off Momma. Hawk didn't get any of her peeps.

8. danathome

I've kept my flock in the poultry yard this morning until I'm outside. Once the dogs and I are outside the chance of hawk attacks lessens.

Hermit's Garden likes this.
  9. robin416

LOL Don't bet on it. Two swoops that I saw I was right there for the one and just on the other side of the coop when the Hamburg girl went after the hawk. And my three dogs were out there with me.

10. danathome

I've had that happen too.

An adult button is larger than the 10 g chick. The picture shows a serama hen with her newly hatched cortunix chicks. She could not hatch and raise the much smaller buttons.

calli with quail chicks.jpg

11. robin416

How come? Not raising the buttons, I mean.

12. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member