Chicken Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
17,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going outside for something but I forget now what it was.

Just as I get out there I see one of my Guineas scrambling for cover as another bird swooped down on it's back. It wasn't any bigger than the Guinea but it still had me running and yelling to scare it off.

I can see some disturbed feathers on the Guinea and now because the attack happened so close to the coop I can't convince them right now to come near it.

·
Serama King
965 Posts
I hope you didn't/don't lose any of your birds. I saw a hawk come swooping in this morning low and behind a row of trees. None of the flock saw it, but I did. Grabbed he 22 and got off a shot but missed; flew away. Dang things are getting sneaky. And brave-did not fly right away-just sat there for a minute and then flew; I have a single shot.

·
Administrator
17,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm less liable to lose a Guinea to a hawk because of their size and strength. I won't say that they won't suffer a wound but they really are less likely to be killed.

They're all up now because of the rain.

I think the biggest problem is spotting them in the trees since they blend so well. That swooping thing you saw is what always alerted me to their presence.

·
Super Moderator
2,975 Posts
I'm less liable to lose a Guinea to a hawk because of their size and strength. I won't say that they won't suffer a wound but they really are less likely to be killed.

I think the biggest problem is spotting them in the trees since they blend so well. That swooping thing you saw is what always alerted me to their presence.
The hawks here used to get my guineas, but they were pretty large hawks.

·
Administrator
17,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fortunately for my birds most of the hawks I see around here are not much bigger than they are.

I do have to correct something I said about swooping. There is a certain sound the Guineas make under cover that tells me there's one nearby. If I search the trees in the vicinity I usually spot it. And when the hawk sees me standing there flies off after a bit.

·
Serama King
965 Posts

This is why I saw it from the patio, but the birds, lower down, did not. Had I not been there this LARGE hawk could have easily taken a duck or small bantam.

·
Administrator
17,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Smaller birds definitely would have no chance against one.

Although I had a Hamburg bantam Momma go after a hawk that was four times her size once. She was one ticked off Momma. Hawk didn't get any of her peeps.

·
Administrator
17,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL Don't bet on it. Two swoops that I saw I was right there for the one and just on the other side of the coop when the Hamburg girl went after the hawk. And my three dogs were out there with me.

·
Serama King
965 Posts
I've had that happen too.

An adult button is larger than the 10 g chick. The picture shows a serama hen with her newly hatched cortunix chicks. She could not hatch and raise the much smaller buttons.

calli with quail chicks.jpg

·
Administrator
17,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Attempt three was just made. I'm pretty sure it hit one of the females but I don't see any injuries.

We all recognize certain sounds our birds make. I heard mine and knew something was going on. When I went out the backdoor and into the breezeway I saw the hawk sitting on the drive. It flew off when it knew I was there with nothing in his talons. He landed in one tree, saw I was still moving, flew to another. After I didn't leave for a few minutes it flew off further.

I was gone on Monday. This is when I think the second attempt was made because of under feathers being all over the ground. Guineas can shed feathers to cause confusion for a predator. When I saw them I thought that something had gone on while I was gone. Looks like I was right.

I have to be gone tomorrow so I'll leave them up while I'm gone.

And this hawk is about the same size as the Guineas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts