Chicken Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the hatch percentage on a young broody hen? I have a silkie sitting on three eggs and wish now I had done more.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think that there is a 50% chance. Also, do you have any other hens that are broody? I ask this because silkies are known to be bad mothers. They might kill the chicks, but if yours is friendly, you should be fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have two sisters in there together sharing them. If I only have one hatch out I would like to get a couple brand new babies for them to adopt. I have always heard silkies were great mommies. I guess you never know.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The hatch rate in an incubator varies between 50-100% whereas a broody hen is better and varies from about 75-100%! Hope this help! PM me for more!

~Cluckspert~

·
Registered
336 Posts
AlexTS113 said:
I think that there is a 50% chance. Also, do you have any other hens that are broody? I ask this because silkies are known to be bad mothers. They might kill the chicks, but if yours is friendly, you should be fine.
Um silkies r known for being the best mothers....I don't know how u got that info but silkies r known for being the most careful and loving mothers ever....look on YouTube..somewhere there is a video of a silkie mother risking her life to save her chicks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts