Chicken Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hen that has gone broody that I am going to let raise some chicks. If I put an egg under her that is double yoked and one of the yolks isn't fertilized (not even sure if that happens) will there be any issues or will the fertile yolk develop normally?

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Very rarely do those chicks survive to hatch and when they do, they don't survive much longer afterwards, from everything I've read on the subject.

You can try it..should be interesting.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Don't know about one yolk fertile and one not, but if both fertile, possibility of conjoined chicks. Have you ever cracked open a double yolker where the yolks seemed to cling together? That would be conjoined, or siamese twins, and most of those have buttloads of problems, some survivable and some not. You can always give it a try. It could go well and give you 2 healthy chicks, or not.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I can usually tell which eggs are double yoked, so I will try to separate those out before I put eggs under my broody hen. I am not curious enough about what happens to purposely risk having Siamese twins.

·
Registered
187 Posts
HerkNav said:
Thanks for the advice. I can usually tell which eggs are double yoked, so I will try to separate those out before I put eggs under my broody hen. I am not curious enough about what happens to purposely risk having Siamese twins.
I'm with you on that one!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was reading up on egg hatching last night and the book I was reading said that you want to remove double yolk eggs. Not sure on specifics but most likely because the chick or chicks survivability is probably low.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I recently had a hen hatch twins. I didn't want to believe it, but when I moved momma to get rid of the other eggs that didn't hatch I only found 1 egg shell. Both are alive and well and are almost 6 weeks old.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I recently had a hen hatch twins. I didn't want to believe it, but when I moved momma to get rid of the other eggs that didn't hatch I only found 1 egg shell. Both are alive and well and are almost 6 weeks old.
Oh, this would be so interesting to see how they interact up to and through adulthood! I don't know if they would have to have started as a single embryo that split or if the hen actually made 2 embryos. Do they look identical? Can you keep us updated with any observations? Maybe make a special thread on twin chick???

·
Registered
558 Posts
I guess the final hurdle would have been, that in sharing the same egg, especially at hatching time, they didn't kick and push at each other until one perished.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Oh, this would be so interesting to see how they interact up to and through adulthood! I don't know if they would have to have started as a single embryo that split or if the hen actually made 2 embryos. Do they look identical? Can you keep us updated with any observations? Maybe make a special thread on twin chick???
Great idea. I'll start a new thread to post pics and keep record of the twins.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts