Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my little fertile eggs (pekin bantams) will be hatching tomorrow-fingers crossed! Tomorrow is day 21 - how long is it usually before I will actually see them? Will they stay under mama or come right out? I'm very excited and maybe a tad nervous! Just hope we do manage to hatch some! If the pasty bum thing happens-have read lots about it, will the mumma hen look after it or should I intervene? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Make sure you dont disturb momma or the babies. It could still take 2 days for all the hatch. As for pasty butt, not likely since the hen is hatching them, pasty butt normally only happens with shipping and incubation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great news Apyl,

I will leave them to it. Super excited! Expect some pics to come in a couple of days when I get a peek at them!! Is there usually a particular time in the day that they will start the hatching process or does it just vary all the time? It's an awful summers day here - windy and rainy! Not a great day to welcome new life!! :)

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Great news Apyl,

I will leave them to it. Super excited! Expect some pics to come in a couple of days when I get a peek at them!! Is there usually a particular time in the day that they will start the hatching process or does it just vary all the time? It's an awful summers day here - windy and rainy! Not a great day to welcome new life!! :)
No special time :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hatching day - well on the way!! We have two little youngsters so far, so incredibly cute!! I am sorry pics aren't great - didn't want to disturb the new mumma too much so I had to be very quick! Ill get more in the coming days! The little dark one has yellow tips on his wings-super cute!! When I get more photos I will have to get some help as to what color everyone thinks they will turn out like, so new to this I have no idea! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know? I bought fertile bantams but I don't know what the real mumma or Dad look like? My silkie Jemima went broody so she is their surrogate mum haha!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any ideas as to what colors these babes will be when they grow up? I know they aren't great pics, when they are out and about I will get some more!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's so lovely to watch them altogether.. It's so Weird how she just knows what to do! It's her first time and she looks just like a natural mumma! So much less stress for me!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts