Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am new to this and want to get started with egg layers. I want colorful and friendly. I was thinking about Easter Eggers and Amerucanas. Any suggestions? Also, what are good online hatcheries to use?
Thanks
Beth

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hi and welcome. I'm also new to this. I have two 1month old chicks and a 2 month old chick and getting one more two month old ordering Friday. I suggest you find a hatchery or breeder not too far from where you live so the chicks don't have too far to travel. I ordered mine from a breeder around 2 1/2 hours away and my chicks came the next morning. I think the closer it might be a bit easier of a trip for them. As for breeds because I'm new I can't really answer that but there are some great web sites that talk about breeds. Also I've seen a few that gives you a quiz as for what you want and asks several questions then pairs you up with a breed! I think I saw that on my pet chicken. Com. It was kinda cool! As for me I choose silkies. The first time I saw them I was in love! They actually look furry because the feathers don't have barbs. But if your really after egg production, you wouldn't want silkies. Just take a look online at some breeds or take the chicken quiz and see what's suggested for you. When you get your babies post lots of pictures ok? I wish you the best!

·
Yaya
284 Posts
Energyvet said:
Oh, the siblings, Mo and Owen. 20 # each. Haven't been kittens in 10 years. Lol. I'll change it again.
I'm a cat person. actually I'm a person person, but cats come in number two, then maybe chickens. if you saw me with my dogs you'd accuse me of lying. I love them to death, too.

image-378513335.jpg

one of my favorite species

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Really love the line drawings. They are so simple yet communicate so much. There's always movement in what you draw. Yes, put them in the art thread. Were you an art professor?

·
Yaya
284 Posts
Energyvet said:
Really love the line drawings. They are so simple yet communicate so much. There's always movement in what you draw. Yes, put them in the art thread. Were you an art professor?
you are sweet. no. wannabe artist. professional literacy worker ...and yoga therapist. ;)
you?

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Veterinarian, now I'm working for employee benefits company. Taking a Master Gardening Class to open up some new doors. My son is in his second year of college, going through a divorce, and recovering from Sandy. Life's been really tough these past two years, but hopefully I'm on a comeback.

·
Yaya
284 Posts
Energyvet said:
Veterinarian, now I'm working for employee benefits company. Taking a Master Gardening Class to open up some new doors. My son is in his second year of college, going through a divorce, and recovering from Sandy. Life's been really tough these past two years, but hopefully I'm on a comeback.
how! heavy!
we are in a good place now, but not always. my heart goes out to you and your family. nice of you to be so honest and also so very kind and helpful to others....me, for example.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Wish we could meet up in person. I'm sure we could talk for hours. Lol.

So.... I got 5 new chickens this weekend and doubled my small flock to 9. I'll be adding some chicks later this Spring. These chickens are really making me happy.

·
Yaya
284 Posts
Energyvet said:
Wish we could meet up in person. I'm sure we could talk for hours. Lol.

So.... I got 5 new chickens this weekend and doubled my small flock to 9. I'll be adding some chicks later this Spring. These chickens are really making me happy.
you deserve a dose of happy! nice to see your face :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts