·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Set them in the incubator this morning.

21 black sexlinks
20 Rhode Island reds

Change in tactics for this hatch.

The oldest egg set this morning is only 5 days old. In the past I segregated my saved eggs into Rhode Island reds or black sexlink hatches. These hatches sometimes had eggs as old as 10 days, even though I am very carefull with my saved eggs, the older eggs had a higher % of failure. So strategy is now to combine the saved eggs until I have 41 then set. If it works out as I hope, my hatch rate will increase. The number of eggs I set will remain about the same, only with an increased ratio Rhode Island reds.

My initial plan for the black sexlinks does not appear to be working out. This is because of my inability to generate any return with the cockeral portion of the hatch. Roughly speaking- I set 41 BSL eggs, 35 make it to lockdown, and 30 live hatch. But at best only 50% of the live hatch can be used to generate income.

Doing the math a BSL pullet is sold for $3. 3x15= $45

When compared to RIR hatches.
30 RIR straight run are sold for $2 each. 30x2= $60

I may put the BSL program on hold and concentrate on breeding pure breed lines of RIRs and BRs (barred rocks).

·
Banned
162 Posts
So, you're making your own black sex links? What are you using to create them with? What's your local market like? Here in rural KY people expect to buy a pullet at the point of lay for something ridiculous like $4, which to me is nowhere near enough, because by the time they're that old I have at least $7 worth of feed into them. So I figured it wasn't worth the money to raise them.

How do you figure the economics of it? Are those chick prices?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, you're making your own black sex links? What are you using to create them with? What's your local market like? Here in rural KY people expect to buy a pullet at the point of lay for something ridiculous like $4, which to me is nowhere near enough, because by the time they're that old I have at least $7 worth of feed into them. So I figured it wasn't worth the money to raise them.

How do you figure the economics of it? Are those chick prices?
Yes, those are day old prices.

I try not to figure the economics of it, no way does it pay off, I do it strictly as a hobby.

Creating my black sexlinks using Rhode Island Red roosters over barred rock hens.

I have brooded the sexlinks up to 8 weeks and then sell them for $7-$8.

·
Banned
162 Posts
Yes, those are day old prices.

I try not to figure the economics of it, no way does it pay off, I do it strictly as a hobby.

Creating my black sexlinks using Rhode Island Red roosters over barred rock hens.

I have brooded the sexlinks up to 8 weeks and then sell them for $7-$8.
Wow, I wish people here were willing to pay that, I'd definitely do it. They grumble if I try to ask more than five.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Wow, I wish people here were willing to pay that, I'd definitely do it. They grumble if I try to ask more than five.
Laura, you are correct the market isn't the same here in SW Ohio either!

I've been doing a "Black Sex-Link" using Buckeyes and Barred Plymouth Rocks but the offspring doesn't bring $3 a chick in my area....I'm lucky if I can sell them for $2 each and they are excellent layers!!! The $$$ are better for my straight run Buckeyes than my crosses....I also breed a Buckeye/Dark Cornish "meat bird" cross that produces good meat at 12-16 weeks (depending on feed protein) but they are not big sellers (yet) either. :)

·
Banned
162 Posts
Oh, but you have so many more chickens than I do Jeff! I'm just down here in the hollers of KY with my flock of Buckeyes. That's all I have now that my chore helpers are off to college. I had to sell everything else and just keep my most beloved birds. But I'll never give my Buckeyes up, they mean too much to me, they remind me of my grandfather back in OH and his big ol' Buckeye tree. When he died and I was helping my mom and grandmother go through his clothing, we found a Buckeye nut in the pocket of almost every pair of pants and jacket he owned. I still have a couple, they are among my most prized possessions.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hatch 8 is in incubator #2.

23 Rhode Island reds
16 black sexlinks
1 mutt pet chicken from Stewie the Rooster

Interesting thought about the mutt. I believe it will actually be a flavor of sexlink. Stewie the Rooster is a Sicilian buttercup, I think the hen is a 4 years old barred rock.

You guys keep talking about them buckeyes I am going to find myself in the dog house again. You guys got to promise me- no matter how much I beg, your answers will be "no hatching eggs for you"!

·
Banned
162 Posts
You guys keep talking about them buckeyes I am going to find myself in the dog house again. You guys got to promise me- no matter how much I beg, your answers will be "no hatching eggs for you"!
LOL. Okey dokie.

Actually, I don't sell hatching eggs anyway. I've had such very bad luck doing so I just don't do it any more. Darned USPS must drop the boxes on purpose and kill the air cells. I get spectacular hatches here at home, but folks get really dismal ones with shipped eggs (or have in the past), so I stopped doing it. Just not worth having to refund people all the time.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
twentynine said:
Hatch 8 is in incubator #2.

23 Rhode Island reds
16 black sexlinks
1 mutt pet chicken from Stewie the Rooster

Interesting thought about the mutt. I believe it will actually be a flavor of sexlink. Stewie the Rooster is a Sicilian buttercup, I think the hen is a 4 years old barred rock.

It has me thinking the same way, I am like, hmmmm, I need to find some of those chicks or eggs close to home.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hatch 7 update:
Fan failure yet again!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to have to find me a source for a small 100% duty cycle fans.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts