Has Anyone's Hens Started Slowing Down Egg Production?

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by SCYankees, Oct 15, 2012.

1. SCYankees

SCYankees New Member

Here it is, the middle of October. We live in upstate South Carolina and our 3 hens are not producing much, one, maybe two once in a while. Is it getting close to no eggs at all? We are new at this, so just wanted to know if any one else is seeing egg laying diminishing.

2. kimberley

kimberley New Member

yes production is slowing down. any kink of weather change will also slow them down..are getting eggs at all?

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Gosh, this has been my luckiest day in weeks for eggs! Been getting maybe 2 a day at the most for over 2 months. So far I'm up to 4 today! Had one shell-less egg yesterday I found in the nest box along with one good egg. Wish I knew of the little banty (got her 2 weeks ago tomorrow - she's just over a yr old) is giving me any eggs or where she is hiding them. Antsy to get my first egg from my little ameraucana I took in last week. She's 5 months old. Very scared of everything and so sweet too.

4. SCYankees

SCYankees New Member

One of the hens has started molting. I'm thinking to myself that it is too cold to be shedding all these feathers. Why didn't she do it earlier. It's almost like taking your coat off outside in the cold. Brrrr!. Well, at least I know why she may not be laying. Gotta go out and clean the coop of all the feathers today.

5. redmaples

redmaples Junior Member

Yeah for the last few months it has been hit or miss but now we are getting into the full swing of moulting and boy they look terrible I am getting 1-4 eggs a day and only 2 of the newbies started laying. they will be 6 months this coming wednesday so the others should be starting soon. Then I can start selling eggs again to pay for the Organic feed!!!! Geez That stuff is expensive!!!

6. dfwquiltr37

dfwquiltr37 Junior Member

So far so good here with egg production now if I would just quick collecting them for hatching we just might have eggs to eat. With my quails I have been getting about 5 a day from each pen. My Silkie Serama is sitting on 2 of her eggs pluse 2 of my Silkie Eggs. Sense I figured out where all the eggs were going with them. One of my silkie hens is sitting on 14 eggs. I thought about taking some from her but so far she is handling them okay. And I have another hen who lays 2 every other day. Got 3 blue eggs from my White Ameracauna hens yesterday. Here in Texas the weather is still on the warm side. This week I think we are suppose to be in the 60's so that will be nice. :)

7. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

My egg production is perfect still. It all depends on what breed of chickens you have. I live in western mass and its down to high 30's over night and 50s or 60s during the day and I get 5 eggs from all 5 of my hens. I have 4 red sex links and 1 white leghorn. Also if its dropping dramatically try putting a light in your coop that runs on a timer so your hens get 14 hrs of light a day. I don't have a light but I've heard it helps alot during these months since we only have 9 or 10 hrs of light a day and statistically hens need 14 hrs a day to produce an egg.

8. SCYankees

SCYankees New Member

We thought about putting lights in when we got the hens. But, now with the weather turning, we have decided to let them have a rest. If they lay, they lay, if they don't, they don't. I know by not lighting the coop, it will prolong their production time, rather than running out of eggs in at an earlier age.

One of my hens has molted so much, she looks white from my kitchen window instead of golden orange like she should.:)

9. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I agree. I'm all about waiting. I'd love eggs, but I think I love my chickens more. I can eat Costco eggs just a little bit longer.