Chicken Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One hen keeps laying semi-small eggs that consistently have a half inch diameter area of very hard bumps, speckled, that rise pretty far from the egg.

Normal?

·
977 Posts
Keith, great question! I had 2 eggs today with that on them . Do you think its calcium related?

·
Registered
125 Posts
This happened to some of my eggs. I didn't change a thing and it somehow resolved itself. I didn't eat those eggs tho because when I candled them the shell was compromised and porous.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
I've seen eggs like that. It's extra calcium that seems to stick all over the egg shell. I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes you can rub the egg shell with your finger and it comes off. Also, sometimes that happens and the egg shell is very brittle and thin. I have seen these at the end of a season, or the beginning of a new season.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have one hen out of 6 that has always layed eggs like this, fantastic layer daily but very poor shells ,often porous and very rough with half brown and white the other end and she lays soft shelled eggs aswell,she is a goldline hybrid and the others are all different hybrids ,however all has same lifestyle,diet etc and happy hens so never known why she does this as used to worry she was poorly or lacking something but been 2 years like this now?

anyone else had this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got one of my four hens doing this now.. Just started this week. All the hens are free range and have calcium available at all times. The chicken appears healthy and other than the roughness and discoloration the shell is hard and thastes fine. It's good to know others have encountered this so I don't feel worried..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts