Chicken Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2 gallon galvanized waterer and was going to hang it in the coop. The lady at the feed and seed said I shouldn't hang it. Anyone know why it's a bad idea?

·
Registered
558 Posts
If it was designed to be able to be hung, then try it! As high as you can with all of the birds still able to get to it. Set it on the ground and they will scratch around it and fill it with dirt and crud. Perhaps there is a design flaw she was aware of but wanted to make the sale...The galvanized feeders/waterers cost more than the plastic ones. Just make sure the support structure can support 20 pounds (filled it should be less than that). I was using a galvanized bucket-like on-it's-side waterer (1 gal), which was good for a while, but then the weather got hot, they started going through it fast and then they would kick it around, so I got a plastic hanging one, and now when it gets close to the bottom, it leans and drains out the water, so I can see why a nipple-waterer like the cheery chicks ones is such a good idea!

·
rich386
83 Posts
Auto fill gravity fed water system. Little more than hook up your garden hose and never water again. You get 3gal. pail with cover and valve and hose adapter. 18" pipe with 3 horixontal nipples instaled and mounting clips. Each 18" section will serve 18 to 24 birds. If you want more information email [email protected]

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts