Chicken Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I reached in through our coop door right around dark to gather the day's eggs as I was locking the chickens and guinneas up for the night. I saw a couple eggs and reached for them and then I noticed the rather smallish possum eating the very eggs I was grabbing for. I avoided getting bitten by maybe a foot and a half or so. I called my wife, who was in the house with our son. She brought out the .22 rifle and I shot the offender and got rid of the body. This is the second possum we had in there this Spring.

Such is farm life.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yuck! I've almost grabbed one of those nasty animals by mistake once. I about jumped out of my skin when I realized it wasn't one of the feral kittens I had been trying to tame.
Thank goodness you didn't get bitten!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it was closer than I'd like, that's for sure. It had broken 2 eggs and was sitting on a third that was not broken but we threw it away. It seemed a little chancy to eat something that was in contact with a possum's hindparts. I could scrub the shell off and I'd still not feel comfortable eating it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
7chicks, we let the birds out during the day and I go shut the coop door right around dark. The possum got in sometime before I got out to close the door.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah they are all fine. They weren't even notably upset or spun up and it was right in there with them. Of course most of them roost on a bar that's about 3 feet beyond harm's reach.

Thanks for the concern.

·
Banned
825 Posts
Yeah they are all fine. They weren't even notably upset or spun up and it was right in there with them. Of course most of them roost on a bar that's about 3 feet beyond harm's reach.

Thanks for the concern.
When it comes to *****.....
There ain't NUTHIN' Beyond Harm's Reach !
They are intelligent, wily, crafty, acrobatic, and MEAN tough RAIDERS !!!
Last Year (about THIS time-of-year)....a BIG **** killed my entire flock of about 12 chickens.....including my TOUGH and MEAN Big Rooster !
IF
possible.....you should endeavor to "tighten-up" your SECURITY a bit, I think.
( It's NO FUN to have to "re-start" your chicken-program all over again. )

GLAD You had no "serious" losses and especially GLAD that you didn't get bit !
( Having grown-up around rattlesnakes....I NEVER put a hand in a place that I haven't "eye-balled" very well ! :eek: )

I hope that you have no further problems with *****.....but, I suspect that you can expect it.
BEST REGARDS ! :)
-ReTIRED-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts