Chicken Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to keeping chickens. My son has Asperger's, he becomes obsessed with certain topics. He has always loved animals, his newest obsession is chickens. He reads interesting books and facts about chickens constantly. I finally agreed to getting getting 3-4 and now we are up to 6. Buffy is a Buff Orphington, Amy is an Americauna, Little Red Riding Hood is a Production Red, Sylvia is a Silver Laced Wyandotte, Pearl is a Black Australorp, and Dottie is a Barred Plymouth Rock. They are 2 weeks old.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
DottieB said:
Hello, I am new to keeping chickens. My son has Asperger's, he becomes obsessed with certain topics. He has always loved animals, his newest obsession is chickens. He reads interesting books and facts about chickens constantly. I finally agreed to getting getting 3-4 and now we are up to 6. Buffy is a Buff Orphington, Amy is an Americauna, Little Red Riding Hood is a Production Red, Sylvia is a Silver Laced Wyandotte, Pearl is a Black Australorp, and Dottie is a Barred Plymouth Rock. They are 2 weeks old.
Welcome to this fun and crazy world. Your sun will love them. Chicks are best, they will be so tame and used to you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Great names! And your pics are really good too.... I have a hard time with chick pics cuz they just won't stand still for me!

Nice that you're doing this with your son. Sounds like you are getting sucked into the chicken bug a little yourself :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I am enjoying this project. Even more than I expected. I am having fun researching and designing our chicken coop. I am about half way done. My biggest concern is about 1 of my dogs, half black mouth cur/half black lab, he acts like he would like to eat them.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
DottieB said:
Yes, I am enjoying this project. Even more than I expected. I am having fun researching and designing our chicken coop. I am about half way done. My biggest concern is about 1 of my dogs, half black mouth cur/half black lab, he acts like he would like to eat them.
I have read lots too about dogs and chicks. I hope to be able to have mine running together someday too. I know it is a slow and long process, and sometimes it still never works. I also have been told to expect to loose a chick or two during the process :-(

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hello and welcome! What a great thing for you and your son to share! You both are going to get so much enjoyment from having chickens. They're full of entertainment, peaceful to watch scratch around, and a lot like having a dog or any other pet. They will learn to answer to their name and will follow you around. They can be a lot of company.

·
Registered
127 Posts
DottieB said:
My biggest concern is about 1 of my dogs, half black mouth cur/half black lab, he acts like he would like to eat them.
My catahoula-fox hound was insane about the chicks at first. We had a tragedy where she tried to grab a chick and gave it fatal injuries back at the beginning. Now she watches over them, runs around with them and tries to take their treats away.

If I could do it over, I would have kept her on a leash tied to something solid near (but not too near) the chicks for a week or two first. Give lots of treats, but let her watch me love and handle the chicks. Once she got the idea that they were ours to watch over she's been good as gold.

Attachments

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hello and welcome. What a wonderful project for the both of you. I hope you are able to train your dog. I was lucky with my dog, she really didnt care too much about the chickens. We got full grown hens at first and she chased them once or twice but no damage. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fuzziebutt said:
Welcome!!! You forgot to get Fuzz, the Silkie!!!
I never saw one of those for sale around here, but it also wasn't one of the chickens on my son's chart he made either. If I get any more, I am going to need a bigger coop.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kahiltna_flock said:
Hello and welcome. What a wonderful project for the both of you. I hope you are able to train your dog. I was lucky with my dog, she really didnt care too much about the chickens. We got full grown hens at first and she chased them once or twice but no damage. Keep us posted.
I saw that you are from Ak in another post. I was born and raised there. How do you keep your chickens warm in the winter?

·
Registered
839 Posts
DottieB said:
I saw that you are from Ak in another post. I was born and raised there. How do you keep your chickens warm in the winter?
I have a double walled, insulated coop. 12 hens in an 8x8 revamped shed. I put a heat lamp in during the really cold -20- -30 temps. It kept it around 0. They managed just fine. Some hearty girls! Where did you live when you were up here?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kahiltna_flock said:
I have a double walled, insulated coop. 12 hens in an 8x8 revamped shed. I put a heat lamp in during the really cold -20- -30 temps. It kept it around 0. They managed just fine. Some hearty girls! Where did you live when you were up here?
I grew up in Willow and wend to HS in Wasilla. Thank you for sharing about your coop, that is so interesting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts