Chicken Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Happee ChickenSuperMomma
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a few guinea hens. I've currently got 9 laying hens & a rooster. Would you place the guineas in the same coop & run, or keep them separate? I've got plenty of room in the coop and the run. What do you think? Experience? Do they get along?

·
Registered
144 Posts
They only way I have got them to get along was for them to be raised together!! The guineas are bullies to the chicks. But if your chickens are older and ur adding keets then that might work!

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I agree ... if they are young yes ... older no. (sorry)

·
Happee ChickenSuperMomma
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for that suggestion. I know of someone who raises guineas (and many other animals) so I'll check with him for young keets.

·
Registered
88 Posts
We got our guinea hen 3 years ago she was already 2 years old we just put her in our coop full of bantams and a peacock. Of course there was fighting for a few days but now they're fine. The guinea and the peacock are a bonded pair, separate them and all hell breaks lose. she's never injured one of the bantams

·
Happee ChickenSuperMomma
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good information to hear. Thanks to all. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 3 guineas are in with 3 hens, no problem, then got 15 hen, still no problems.
I am building a run this Spring for the Guineas, the chicken are my brothers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have 5 hens, 1 roo, and have 4 keets. Initially the roo and even the hens were picking on them, so we kept them in a dog kennel in the coop for a week or so longer before trying them again. We basically did this until they weren't being picked on. Much like we do with our chicks. They've grown up quite a bit, and they stick to the chickens and each other like glue. We recently got a new rooster though to go with some hens we got, and they are all eyes for that roo. They absolutely LOVE the roosters. I don't know what it is, but they will follow them around so happily!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts