Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I started off this mothers day with an egg hatching! :D
One of my Barred Rocks went broody on me, so I let her lay on 2 eggs. Sadly, one didn't make it but this little guy did! 馃挌

Now, I have a pretty diverse flock.
I have:
2 Barred Rocks
2 Sapphire Gems
1 Buff Orpington
1 Autsralorp
1 Black Copper Marran Cross

My Rooster is an Australorp.

The babeh:

The flock:

I'm pretty sure I have an idea who the egg could of belonged too, but I wanna see your thoughts.

Administrator
I'm going to vote for the black copper marans being Momma.

You might be able to tell as peep gets older.

Wonderful Friend
That was my guess too Robin!
Or just a dark chick expression from the Australorp roo, and the buff. I haven鈥檛 raised enough chicks to know their looks. I鈥檓 crap shooting here....

Administrator
You know me, OM, chances are it's one totally removed from that breed. I looked at the dark feet and thought maybe I could get this one right.

Registered
Hey everyone! I started off this mothers day with an egg hatching! :D
One of my Barred Rocks went broody on me, so I let her lay on 2 eggs. Sadly, one didn't make it but this little guy did! 馃挌

Now, I have a pretty diverse flock.
I have:
2 Barred Rocks
2 Sapphire Gems
1 Buff Orpington
1 Autsralorp
1 Black Copper Marran Cross

My Rooster is an Australorp.

The babeh:
View attachment 40628

The flock:
View attachment 40629

I'm pretty sure I have an idea who the egg could of belonged too, but I wanna see your thoughts.
View attachment 40631

can you tell me what type of chicken the black and white one is? we have an olive egger that looks like a male and im wondering if the one in the photo is a male or female.

Administrator
I always loved watching them do that. Or have a head suddenly pop out through a wing.

You didn't need to keep them separate from the flock. Chances are peep would have been just fine because Momma wasn't going to let anyone near it.

Super Moderator
Great pics!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I always loved watching them do that. Or have a head suddenly pop out through a wing.

You didn't need to keep them separate from the flock. Chances are peep would have been just fine because Momma wasn't going to let anyone near it.
They're separated because I have neighbors that have a lot of outside cats that are in my yard a lot. :(

Administrator
Bet Momma would teach the cats a thing or two. Although I'd probably do the same thing to keep peep safe.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hate to break it to y'all, but I'm starting to think the egg was laid by my Buff Orpington, Chocobo.
After doing some research, the baby Is looking an awful lot like the australorp x buff crosses I'm seeing. :O

1 - 20 of 43 Posts