Chicken Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He is getting very mean and putting in two new chicks has only turned him meaner. He has been pecking several of the hens for some time now and he attacks my daughter and granddaughter everytime they even attempt to help me with the chicks. He has now turned on me and my son in law. We will try one more day and if he doesn't straighten out he is going to have to go to a new home or the stew pot. He is such a gorgeous bird that I hate to see him go but beauty is not the reason to have the chicks, it's the eggs.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Have you tried holding him. I find that they come to know that you're not an enemy or a threat. They learn very quickly but at first it's s little scary.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Give him the axe ...

·
I luv Polish & Houdans
137 Posts
You can try holding him but some roos just don't tame down as long as there are hens around to protect.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
seems he has to go, sometimes we have to make choices for the benefit of the rest of the flock.

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, we have held him since he was a baby but now when you hold him he just gets down and attacks the chickens even more. He doesn't try to attack me for a bit, but the poor chickens really pay for it. I found him a home already but it is going to be very hard to give him up. I think maybe free range might be better for him than the pen we have? Can't free range here since we have all the wildlife coming in all the time. Guess trying to be a wildlife preserve and have chickens at the same time is not the way to go.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
Some just never tame. I had a peep that started attacking me at three weeks old. He barely made it to his first crow before he was so bad that he had to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts