Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Wonderful Friend
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The babies are all growing so fast! The hens have decided it’s ok to visit while they watch the littles run around. Which is good bc I missed their sweet cuddles.

The babies roost w their momma’s now, which is definitely best for everyone.

The inside babies are growing too- they’ve learned how to escape, and they knock stuff over and yell at me when they need anything, the brats. This particular baby is going to one of my BFF, can’t wait!

I have rehomed 7/14 or 15 that need to go so far. Guess what? The last half are almost all roosters. I have going for me that they are tiny, with feathered legs and Mille Fleur patterned for the most part. So I’m hoping that will be something some people will want to add to their flocks. Maybe. And one is a porcelain D’Uccle rooster, and two are Ameraucana with good colors. Wish me luck, I’m gonna be the rooster rehoming queen when this is done.

And finally, my little stormcloud Hensley. Softest and poofiest thing around! She’s growing into those huge eyes finally!

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
It's really hard to imagine them growing so much in such a short period of time. But they do. And they become their own little personalities.

Ah now we have the Rooster Queen. I wish you lots of luck rehoming the group. It's not easy and it's even more stressful having them around with all of the rest.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So cute! I love how some act like dogs! (wait, y'all s don't? Oh man, my flock is messed up:ROFLMAO:) I also love their spirits and personality's they grow up to have. I know you feel amazing to have these poultry pets around - I can see it in the pics :)

·
Wonderful Friend
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah, the only one laying is my little Serama hen, for about 2 weeks now! Stormcloud there is actually right about laying age, and I think she will but she did have some issues when younger that may or may not affect it.

Robin- oh yes. Thankfully Chip is super tolerant of the boys rather than wanting them all put in their place as babies or anything. I’d really be in a pickle then! But I’m sure we’d sort it out.
I took these pics just for you bc I know how you love an interesting white patterned chicken. My Stinker, the male I will actually most likely keep (or his bro who is blue, depends on final temperament) is really turning into a cool bird. Check him out!

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
If that's Stinker with the red markings he is amazing! What's even wilder his how white his legs and feet are. It's like being dressed up for a wedding.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are a pale grey, although they look even paler in those pics it’s true! Yep, that’s the one- it’s this beautiful caramely red color, I’m really excited to see how this crazy bird ends up looking! He’s got all the grey and brown/red with that white/off-white color- he’s just really neat. He also has a weird wet hairdo look going on still, and he’s as rotten as my other roos… oops. Sorry not sorry!

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
That pic is amazing, it really shows him off. You're right, his doo is unique.

I hope he keeps that coloration at his next molt.

·
Serama King
2,318 Posts
OM-The chicks are looking good. With ds, be aware that some pullets get their combs early. The two hens I have did and when young I thought them to be cockerels. Do some comb comparisons. The biggest and reddest are cockerels, but... A bigger comb that is paler is likely a pullet. Stinker... could be a pullet. Do some of the cockerels have larger, redder combs? Is Stinker a d cross or something else? How old?

·
Wonderful Friend
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OM-The chicks are looking good. With ds, be aware that some pullets get their combs early. The two hens I have did and when young I thought them to be cockerels. Do some comb comparisons. The biggest and reddest are cockerels, but... A bigger comb that is paler is likely a pullet. Stinker... could be a pullet. Do some of the cockerels have larger, redder combs? Is Stinker a d cross or something else? How old?
He’s an Ameraucana, and she allowed her various colors to intermingle, so wound up with some neat outliers in colors and patterns. I liked this and knew of it ahead of time. More variety! So he is yet not quite pure I guess?

His comb matches the other two boys, and he has acted like a rooster from the get go. And, his neck feathers are getting pretty pointy as well! So, pretty confirmed for us at this point- and it’s ok. Our larger breed girls need someone to keep them in line!

·
Serama King
2,318 Posts
He is a nice looking bird and will get even prettier with age. Seven new phoenix chicks this morning and Betty Muscovy hatched her six eggs too. It's always nice to find new babies in the morning; makes for a great start to the day.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I was 100% correct about these two Australorps being a little diff- one is for sure the cross, as you can see the difference is clear now in combs and wattles and build too. Pretty girls and it’s easier to tell them apart this way!
Then it’s my Teddybird. She’s just as her name implies. And pretty.
Then some of the mixed cute little boys, the D’Uccle cockerel, and another of my Ameraucana dudes, NotFrau.

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
Even though I raised them myself it's so hard to realize how quickly they grow into the birds they're going to be.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts