Chicken Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got 3 20 wk old pullets and bought the 50# bag of feed. I'm wondering if they start laying before finishing the grower feed, can it be given without problem, can I add a supplement to make better for layers? I just hate to waste the grower feed, it isn't cheap out her in California, almost $30 a bag at Fox Feed! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Go ahead and feed it to them. It wont hurt them. If you worried you can mix the grower with layer pellets.

·
Banned
825 Posts
The ONLY thing that I might do....if they started laying eggs.....is...
save the egg-shells...let them dry...then crush them into the feed
to provide additional Calcium.
But...actually....I don't foresee that you have ANY "problem" at all. :)
-ReTIRED-

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^thank you, I'll be doing this. I've heard that you should boil the egg shells...not needed?

·
Registered
12 Posts
ReTIRED said:
The ONLY thing that I might do....if they started laying eggs.....is...
save the egg-shells...let them dry...then crush them into the feed
to provide additional Calcium.
But...actually....I don't foresee that you have ANY "problem" at all. :)
-ReTIRED-
Oh I wish I had read this post sooner. I have been cleaning and baking my shells in a warm oven before crushing them. All that wasted energy for nothing. Hahaha!

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
When it comes to feeds ... I always mix the last bag of the old feed with the first bag of a new feed.

But that was the way it was done in the ol days ... :D

·
Banned
825 Posts
When it comes to feeds ... I always mix the last bag of the old feed with the first bag of a new feed.

But that was the way it was done in the ol days ... :D
That is a particularly GOOD IDEA because.....
...not only does it "improve" the original feed for utilization by Egg-Layers...
...it ALSO will EASE THE TRANSITION to a different feed.
( Sometimes...for a short while....the Chickens will resist a NEW feed....perhaps because it smells different OR they are used to crumbles and are unfamiliar with pellets. )

A FINE SUGGESTION, I believe. :)
-ReTIRED-

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perfect. I tell you though, the way these girls eat, well the BO in particular, we'll go through that 50# bag before they start laying. Food should always be available, right? I mean, free feeding is ok?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi! The primary difference between Grower feed and Layer feed is the protein percentage and the calcium. Grower has a bit more protein (no problem) and much less calcium (problem). So start putting out a dish/container of either crushed egg shells or oyster shell. Since they are already 20 weeks you can put the shell out now and they will begin to eat it as they approach POL. Even once you switch to layer feed you should continue offering shells on the side.

Enjoy!

ETA: washing, boiling, baking egg shells is totally not needed. Just dry and crush.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many thanks! I've mixed layer and grower and am feeding them that, and as soon as they start laying I'll offer the shells, as I'm sure they won't have gone through the grower layer mix by then. Hopefully it won't do them any harm, but I make sure they get that needed calcium.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts