Chicken Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I am new to chickens and have lurked the board for a while. Finally I am making the step out. I live at high altitude in the mountains of colorado. I have erected a coop which I hoped was predator proof. It is 4x8x7, with an enclosed run.
When I started out I had 5 Rhodes and 5 barred rocks with a Orpington rooster as well. I did not fully enclose the run and ended up loosin 6 birds to a local dog.
From there I replaced my fence, and full enclosed the run. The wire is buried 15 inches down and curved outward with rocks on top then the dirt was compacted back in. Everything but the gate was locked in and tied together. Then a fox struck and killed and ate the insides of 2 young birds I bought to replace the dogs damage.
This fox had squeezed through the pop door, so I installed a locking latch and everything was good until this morning when I interrupted a raccoons meal. It had managed to snag a bird through a 4 inch gap in the full size door. I have filled the crack with a 2x4 and blocked where the **** could possibly get through.
So I have had a rough start but I am still lovin it. I have 2 original hens who should be laying any day and still have my roo named sarge.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hi! Welcome aboard. :) Gosh did you ever have a rough start! I'm glad you kept with having chickens. Its so eggciting when you get that first egg. :D I still get eggcited over first eggs from any newbie's. Must be beautiful where you are located! That's one place I've always wanted to be able to go just for snowmobiling. :)

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Hi and Welcome. You'r going to want to secure your coop so there is no place more than 1/2" space. Otherwise a **** can still get its grubby little hand in there and pull out another in pieces.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome! It sounds like you keep having a rough time with starting up your flock. Stupid predators! They are relentless, aren't they? Keep it up! One of these days, it'll be practically bullet proof. :) Whereabouts Colorado are you from? I've lived here my whole life and don't intend on leaving, much too beautiful. I love the name Sarge for a roo!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in clear creek county on the divide near i70. I've since starting have meshed and fixed and tightened the coop several times. I really just want them safe.
I leave for work at sun up, and fear a **** got in early in the morning as I am a bird short. No feathers or blood. I have set up a no kill trap and have filled the only remaining gaps. Hopefully I can catch this predator before it gets another bird.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have attached the view from the window the main perch looks out at, this is what the ladies see, if sarge wants them too.
There are more pictures of my coop in the coop registry.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wow! What a beautiful view! They are some lucky ladies! I will check out your coop here pretty quick. So you are closer to Denver, from what I can tell. Nice area to be at! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts