Greetings from Lake Wylie, SC

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SCYankees, Jul 20, 2012.

1. SCYankees

SCYankees New Member

We just started our chicken laying home business in May. That equates to, we bought hen tractor (paid a lot), and all the goodies including six Golden Comets that were laying. It was very hot and on the second day, the first hen started not looking too well. I told my hubby we needed to move the tractor to the back part of the yard (we have an acre) where there is more shade. They did good for several weeks and we got 5-6 eggs every day. We have had 3 black snakes try to visit us, 2 successfully, and 1 decided not to try it. There may have been others, but we didn't see them. About 3 weeks ago, we had another really hot spell and we lost two of the hens. So, now we are down to four, but all of them seem to be very healthy and lively. We now get 3-4 eggs a day, with an every once in a while only one. Maybe that is the day the snake came to visit and eat before we got to the hen house.

We are enjoying our girls, and will not name them. I have been contemplating getting more at some time, or raising a second batch of chickens for meat instead of eggs. We are getting more eggs than we need, and I sell the extras at work, thus our chicken laying home business.

2. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Welcome !! Sorry to hear of your loss, but it happens all too often. I'm relatively new here myself, a great group of folks here that's for sure.

3. SCYankees

SCYankees New Member

Can't wait to get more involved. I have been doing a lot of reading of the posts. Thanks for the welcome.

4. blondie

blondie New Member

Sorry about the losses and the snakes. This heat has been tough on chickens. Keep those girls in the shade!

5. CMCLB

CMCLB New Member

My sister lives there but in a development. Lovely area! We added misters, bought at Lowe's, to help with the 108* KS heat. They're easy to hook-up and under $20. We're using them in the main coop & a separate tin shed where we currently have 51 Cornish X. Sorry about your losses. We haven't had that issue, yet.

6. SCYankees

SCYankees New Member

We bought a mister too. In fact I used it today. One of the girls didn't too well, so I got it going on them in the coop. We don't have a spot at the moment where we can keep the coop in the shade all day. So, they get shade in the morning, and then shade in the late afternoon.

One of the girls seems to be coughing, so I am concerned we may be losing another hen. Time will tell.

7. TheChickenFountain

TheChickenFountain New Member

Hi, we are not too far north of you in Davidson, NC. The heat has been terrible this summer but we are very happy to report we have not lost any of our hens to the heat. We did loose a young bird to a hawk the other day! They are always around looking for an easy meal! Added two Roosters today so hopefully they will be the early warning system... Welcome to the forum, I think you will find this a wonderful place with a lot of very knowledgable people ....