Greetings from Eastern US!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MatthewBK, Sep 24, 2012.

1. MatthewBK

MatthewBK Chicken Lover

Hi, my name's Matt. I've had chickens ever since I was little, and have ALWAYS loved having them around. They are just so... Interesting, to say the least. They're also pretty darn easy to take care of, in my opinion.
    I'm not new to the chicken scene, but I do enjoy these types of forums. During the Summer I spent a lot of time on Backyard Chickens forum (Just lurking, never had the need to make an account), and I am on almost all of the chicken facebook groups. I may not be new, but as I always say, there's always more you can learn.
    I currently have 10 adult guineas, all different varieties, and 11 week old keets that are heavily protected by all but two of the adult guineas.
    I have one angry Tom turkey. He's a pretty bird, but not exactly nice. He chases everyone, excluding myself. So he's in bird jail (A dog kennel) at the moment, but I do spoil him by giving him all of the table scraps.
    I have six Chinese geese, two whites and four grays. Only one of them is a Goose though, so the Ganders all like to follow her around. Which reminds me that I need to get rid of some of those Ganders.
    I'm not sure how many ducks I have anymore. My ducks are all free-range, so they like to spend their time in the cow/horse pastures, so that's where they usually lay their nests. I think in the Spring/Summer my Ducks all went out to make their nests and the Coyotes got 'em. =/ Got a bunch of Drakes wandering around the farm yard though, about 10 of them.
    As for chickens, I currently have 28 adult chickens, and 20 chicks that I hatched out this Spring/Summer. I have various breeds, and WAY too many roosters. I didn't want to send them down to an auction house, but I'm thinking I might have to before Winter comes along.

So, that's all about me and my flock. I look forward to getting to know some of the members of this forum. :)

2. tigereyesblue76

tigereyesblue76 Member

Hello Matthew and Welcome from Helen in Australia..I'm a newbie on chicken forum, nice bunch of people, always have great answers to my questions..

3. MatthewBK

MatthewBK Chicken Lover

Yeah, the majority of the people on chicken forums (that I've seen) seem to be very kind and informative.

4. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Hey MatthewBK! Eastern US, huh? I'm on the FB groups too and am from NJ. Welcome to Chicken Forum. You should request a sticker for your vehicle. Are you going to Sussex County event in October? I know some NE poultry fanciers who are going to be there. Have fun while you're here. Post some pics of your feathered friends. :)

5. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Welcome !! What's the Facebook deal everyone's screaming about? How do I get there? I'm in NE Texas, reckon they'd let an old man join these groups? Welcome again, and post some pics !

Cogburn

6. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Hello MatthewBK! Glad to have you join us. Look forward to all you have to share with us from your years of experience. :)

7. MatthewBK

MatthewBK Chicken Lover

Thank you for welcoming me, everyone. :)
    I'll get around to posting some pictures of my animals sometime soon.
    I also have a correction to make. I have 27 adults chickens. One of my laying hens died this morning/last night. Not entirely sure how, but I'm pretty sure she was egg bound.

8. oakwood

oakwood New Member

Hello and Welcome from the UK.:)