Greetings from Dickinson, TX

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jim, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Jim

Jim New Member

Hi, I have always wanted chickens, and this summer I talked my wife into it. We live in Galveston county, just outside city limits, and are close to Houston. She agreed to 4-6 chickens, so I set out to build a coop for 8-10. A few moths later, and an addition to the coop, and one more planned, we have exceeded that number. Currently we have 5 Americanas, 2 RI Reds, 2 Polish, 7 Buff Orps ( hoping to breed), 3 Seramas (hoping to breed), 2 SLW, 2 GLW, 2 Dorkings, 2 Blk Australops. I am sure I misspelled some of those.... There is a mix of chicks in the brooder, teens, and layers (still waiting on eggs). I plan to add a few more to the flock in spring, and may sell off some of the chicks when they get older, but we have jumped in full force. I have read a lot on BYC and glad to see an app for chicken lovers. I am also looking for any meet up groups in the Houston, Galveston TX area.

2. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Welcome from NE Texas !! Lake Fork area.. Need more Texas folk on here... I'm outnumbered ! Lol glad to have ya.!

3. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Welcome from the east coast NJ. Glad to have you here with us. Enjoy your visit. Stories, pics and questions are always welcome.

4. MatthewBK

MatthewBK Chicken Lover

Welcome welcome welcome!! :)
    I'd love to see some pictures of your flock, sounds like quite a variety!

5. Jim

Jim New Member

Photos of the flock.

Attached Files:

6. MatthewBK

MatthewBK Chicken Lover

Looks like a nice setup! :)
    Is that piping for an automatic waterer?

7. Jim

Jim New Member

Yes it is. Just finished the "shorter" sections today for the smaller chicks and took the other waterers out. All have figured it out but 3 so far. Even the week old chicks in the brooder picked it up just fine in about 30min. I added two runs from different buckets into each run, this way if one were to fail, they still have water. I will next be adding float valves to make sure they stay full.

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Such a beautiful coop and lovely birds. Okay, I'm feeling pretty jealous here. ;-)

9. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Very nice Chicken Diggs !!

10. MatthewBK

MatthewBK Chicken Lover

Well, chickens are very curious creatures! So they're known for pecking around unfamiliar objects in their area. I've never had a problem with any of my chickens figuring out where the water comes from, no matter how complex the watering system is. :)

11. Jim

Jim New Member

Good to hear. I still have the 3 I have not seen drink, and I will not be home most the day tomorrow to observ, so, I just put the water jugs back in for safety. They all went to it and drank, especially the 3 that had not done the nipples yet. Will try again on Friday.

12. MatthewBK

MatthewBK Chicken Lover

They should get the hang of it soon. Just make sure that the nipple isn't either too high for some of them to reach, or too hard for some of them to use. Sometimes the water on certain nipples doesn't flow out as well.