Chicken Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
My ducks get the normal, feed and Kitchen scraps plus a handful or so of cat food once every couple days to up their protein. I don't know how your ducks are but mine will eat anything. My geese on the other had and picky picky. They will eat feed and very few scraps. This is my first winter with the geese so I will just play it by ear as far as they are concerned. The ducks I've had in the winter do just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Our geese are eating machines. They only like the bagged food. I can get them to eat dried mealy worms with the ducks. They want me to pull the grass and hand feed it to them. They play with their toys instead of looking for grass and weeds. I think they are spoiled. I am worried about the winter. They have igloo doghouses filled with straw in a partially enclosed 10x10 dog run. We enclosed the N and W sides and put in windows. We were just putting tarps on the S and E side we can raise for sun. We put clear poly-carbonate that is 99% uv protected for the roof. They have 2 kiddie pools in the run and a 1000 gallon stock tank outside the run. We have it hooked up to a swimming pool filter. Like I said they are spoiled. LOL. Will try and post some pictures.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Yes, they are spoiled. They really need to forage on their own. Just curious but how old are your geese ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They will be a year old in April. We go sit with them and they will pull some grass. When we get up they follow us or go play with toys. The ducks are more independent than the geese. The female duck has just started laying eggs in the past month. She is the dominate one of the 4. We have 2 ducks and 2 geese. I also need your advice on draining the big stock tank for winter. Will they be ok with a small pool?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
For my ducks, I leave a kiddie pool out with water. Once it freezes solid they don't have a pool to swim in anymore. My flock with bathe in the snow and it doesn't seem to bother them. I just keep some waterers here than there so everyone has water. They also eat the snow. I don't have stock tanks, just have a kiddie pool for them. It sounds like my geese are the same age as yours. They were hatched April 3rd this year. Its funny, I cant even imagine my flock playing with toys. My female goose likes to hang out near us, but the male prefers to hang out with the ducks and chase the kids. None of the ducks hang out with us unless I have food. Mine free range and kinda just do their own thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts