Chicken Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing around for a new feeding solution. My gravity flow PVC system is a bit lacking, needs cleaning often, the elbow can get a bit crusty and stop food flow even not being out of the elements.

I came across Grandpas Feeders; large enough to hold quite a bit of food, all metal and it's a really clever design. The chickens stand on a door and the food tray opens for them. That way other animals, pests, weather, etc. stay out and the chickens eat on demand.

Just got it setup today, there is a training phase so it has to be open for a whole week. I'm going to write an article about it further once testing is done and the training phase is over. So far it's great and they took to it immediately.

Couple of photos from first run today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Look forward to reading about it ...

·
173 Posts
If you leave it outside and it rains hard, will the water get to the feed? Reason for asking, is because I'm always on the look out for weatherproof feeders. I like feeding my fowl outside.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will more thoroughly test this weekend but from all I can tell it's 100% sealed. I don't see rain being able to get into the feed area.

·
174 Posts
I would be worried in colder climates that their feet may get too cold standing on the metal. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I left it last night on accident where the sprinklers reach so it got a good soaking last night. No water penetration.

I live in Texas so cold weather is not as much as a concern, I don't know how effected by cold metal their feet would be but you could put a piece of rubber across it if needed I suppose.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have the PVC auto feeders too and have to keep them inside due to rain. This looks like a much better option! Making my girls work for their supper should break their boredom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts