Got eggs, now what?

Discussion in 'Egg Quality & Storage' started by ba13, Dec 29, 2012.

1. ba13

ba13 New Member

How should I be storing them? I've been told no need to refrigerate, but does that change because of winter temps? I won't be able to collect them till after work (around 5pm).

2. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Refrigerate or not ... it is up to you. ~ Some folks do and some don't.

But I would make an egg sandwich. :) A little mayo and some lettuce on a (homemade) wheat bun.

Yummy!!!

3. Jim

Jim New Member

We do not put in the fridge. On a recent trip to both the UK and to Belize, and Mexico, I noticed that all the eggs in the store were on the shelf, not in the fridge. I think it may be a "US" thing.

4. rob

rob New Member

we dont keep them in the fridge here in u.k.

5. ba13

ba13 New Member

Any thoughts on leaving them outside during the freezing temps? That's my bigger concern.

6. haley4217

haley4217 Junior Member

Last year, before I got my nesting boxes built, the hens were laying eggs in an unprotected area. When temperatures got done to <25 degrees Fahrenheit I had eggs freeze and break. Now that I have a protected nesting box inside the coop, there has been no problems. In the heat of the summer >90 degrees, I have left eggs in the nesting box for a couple of days and ad no problems.

As to refrigerating eggs, just remember this... If you wash the eggs you wash off the protective coating. Either rub them with vegetable oil or refrigerate them. IMHO