Chicken Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my chicks today! Two are supposed to be Americaunas ( don't know the gender), 1 is a barred rock pullet and one is a golden sex pullet. I put them in the garage in the dog's kennel till they are old enough to go into the coop that hubby is finishing. Here is a pic of the set up. Do you think this will work for them?

image-1353235049.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I would put cardboard around the bottom 6 - 8 inches of the kennel to create a draft shield and stop them from getting out. Also take out one of the feeders and put in some bedding. (just my opinions of course). I used a dog kennel last year with some ducks and the cardboard worked fine to keep them from slipping thru the holes .

·
Registered
57 Posts
If they are baby chicks they should have the heat lamp on all of the time since they don't have their feathers yet. At least that is what I did when mine were chicks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I was goin to warn you about them fitting thru the wire but seems I'm a little late. Everything looks great and your chicks are adorable! Please take pics of you coop when it's finished.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL! They are such poof balls, they looked too chubby to fit through. Even the biggest one could get through. They made it safely through the night. I handled them a bit this morning. They seemed to accept being handled well.

Here is a pic of the coop. We worked on the door last night.

image-3278499182.jpg

image-2555108317.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Barnbum374 said:
LOL! They are such poof balls, they looked too chubby to fit through. Even the biggest one could get through. They made it safely through the night. I handled them a bit this morning. They seemed to accept being handled well.

Here is a pic of the coop. We worked on the door last night.
Nice job, and the dogs approve.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts