Geese Goose experts - Are goslings hard to integrate?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by Bird_slave, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

I have 2 ten month old geese and 6 ten month old runner ducks that all live happily together. They all free range in the yard all day and are cooped together overnight. The geese pretty much raised the ducks. I also have two call ducks (added later) that share the same coop, but in a large wire crate to protect them from my goose who views the pair as invaders. She used to be bad about going after them, but isn't so bad about it now.

I am having a hard time deciding whether I want to add some goslings this year and running out of time to decide; as the breed and color I want sell out early.

In your experience with geese, will goslings be accepted fairly quickly and smoothly if, after the brooder period, I add them to the waterfowl coop? My plan, should I decide to order them, is to brood them seperately for a few weeks and then add them to the coop, seperated and protected in another large wire crate like the one I have for my calls. The wire crate for my calls takes up enough room in the coop; I don't want to add another one if it has to be a permanent fixture.

The waterfowl hatchery I plan to use sells either straight run or sexed pairs, so I want to order two pairs; otherwise with my luck I will end up with one goose and three ganders.

The coop is 14 X 16 ft. and again, only used as sleeping quarters. They free range in a nearly 1 acre yard during the day and have a few hours of free ranging over several acres in the evenings.

Input please?

2. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I never had a problem but mine had a little more space to roam in free range. Also ours had the barn/pond at night so they were not in a small area together.

The only thing I would watch would be spring time when they start to nest. Best of luck and let me know how it works.

3. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Thank you.
    My birds used to have the entire farm, 80 acres, to free range on. However we are in a severe drought, making all the predators desperate. I lost quite a few chickens last summer due to hawks, possibly an eagle or two and coyotes. Now my birds only get to free range in the evening, when both my husband and I can be out there watching for predators.
    It's not how I wanted to raise my birds, but it is what it is. :/

4. odellfarms

odellfarms New Member

I would introduce them after they have feathered out. Keeping them in their own cage within the coop at night is a great idea as the flock will figure out their new pecking order even though the birds are in separate cages within one larger "cage". We do this with chickens all of the time. They will have interaction during the day when they free range together. I can see some dominance issues during breeding season, but they will figure it out...